Multiple Radio help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

okccsi

I have seen several people use splitters for 2,3,and 4 different scanners. Not really any signal loss either. My question is this: What is the best way to split for say 10 scanners. All grouped in one area, coming in through one location.

Is there anything on the market just for this type of setup? Signal amplifier's? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

OKC CSI

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
MutliCouplers, such as those sold by Stridsberg, are the way most people go when splitting such large number of receivers. Some even have a small amount of gain to compensate for the loss that's incurred when splitting a signal across 2 or more paths. You may not notice the loss greatly if you're in an area where signal levels are high (or are listening in a congested part of the bands), but it becomes apparent when listening for weaker stations, such as milair.

73s Mike

morfis

Stridsberg's catalogue includes 8 port models, not seen any 9+ port hobby ones

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
$335.00 (factory suggested retail) for one of the 8 port models is a serious chunk of change.

Are you looking for equipment for an application such as web streaming, professional monitoring or something more of a hobbyist set up? Just curious...

morfis

RevGary said:
$335.00 (factory suggested retail) for one of the 8 port models is a serious chunk of change.

There are cheaper makes in the USA as well, though none of the same quality as the Stridsberg ones. Here in the UK the only choices are very professional kit with prices to match.

I suppose another option would be 8 aerials, 8 lengths of coax etc. Not only would this be messy but probably quite a bit more expensive than the Stridsberg price too ;-)

(no, I have no financial connection to Stridsberg except that he has had some of my money in the past).

Last edited:

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
morfis said:
Stridsberg's catalogue includes 8 port models, not seen any 9+ port hobby ones
So... Why not cascade another one to get whatever extra ports one needs? (See the "Multi Multicoupler question" thread in this same forum.) He could easily cascade a 2 port active coupler to an 8 port active one and get 9 ports or he could also go from a 2 port active one to a 8 port active one and a 4 or 8 port active one and get 12 or 16 total ports. ('Course he'd have to remember to properly terminate any unused ports until sometime he needed them.) I wouldn't try using passive multicouplers or splitters for anything beyond 2 radios and even then *I* would still prefer using an active coupler just because I'd rather keep as much signal getting to the radios as I could. (If I had to attenuate the signals I'd rather do it right at the radio that was having the problem rather than all of the radios via the inherent loss that a passive couple / splitter has.)

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

roadranger

Save yourself some money up front and experiment with your average cable tv splitters. I've seen no problems with my freebees.

MB

Feed Provider
roadranger said:
Save yourself some money up front and experiment with your average cable tv splitters. I've seen no problems with my freebees.

Way to much loss for weak signals.

morfis

Halfpint said:
So... Why not cascade another one to get whatever extra ports one needs? (See the "Multi Multicoupler question" thread in this same forum.) He could easily cascade a 2 port active coupler to an 8 port active one and get 9 ports or he could also go from a 2 port active one to a 8 port active one and a 4 or 8 port active one and get 12 or 16 total ports. ('Course he'd have to remember to properly terminate any unused ports until sometime he needed them.) I wouldn't try using passive multicouplers or splitters for anything beyond 2 radios and even then *I* would still prefer using an active coupler just because I'd rather keep as much signal getting to the radios as I could. (If I had to attenuate the signals I'd rather do it right at the radio that was having the problem rather than all of the radios via the inherent loss that a passive couple / splitter has.)

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {GRIN!}

It's an option but as mentioned in that thread the first multicoupler will determine the characteristics of the system.

For the splitter, a single active design as close to the aerial end of the feeder as possible will usually give the best results.

Most of us have to compromise in some way though so experimentation is always worth while to get the best results with the avialable budget and equipment.

morfis

roadranger said:

Experimentation is worthwhile but these splitters are generally lossy or noisey. Use of several in a feeder will degrade the signal badly. For very strong signals the amplified versions will cause problemsfor the radios front end, weaker signals will end up lost in noise. Passive versions will render more signals too weak to resolve.

RISC777

morfis said:
Experimentation is worthwhile but these splitters are generally lossy or noisey. Use of several in a feeder will degrade the signal badly. For very strong signals the amplified versions will cause problemsfor the radios front end, weaker signals will end up lost in noise. Passive versions will render more signals too weak to resolve.
Another aspect is that "TV splitters" are F female ported. If anyone has existing cable with BNC, PL, N, etc. connectors, adapters are going to have to be used. Also, if a 'better' grade of cable is used such as 9913 or LMR-400, those are 3/8" cables and F fittings for that size cable are scarce at times.

Another thought is add a second antenna and use a 4- and 8-port Stridsberg, or two 8-port Stridbergs. . . . Or contract one to be made, but that wouuld probably be reaally cost prohibitive.

`Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.