My bedside command post

Status
Not open for further replies.

uman18

Almost done with my set up. Originally I wanted to use a Gator or rack type case but the weight was too much. I just got some wood and aluminum from Lowes, about $20. Hardest part was drilling the holes in the correct spot when mounting the faceplates.

It's stationary but wanted to be able to transport it on the fly if I needed to. I use to have my XTL's on a shelf. That required unscrewing everything. I can now run this set up in a car if I wanted to.

I used Havis Shield faceplates. $22 each. I wanted to go with Troy faceplates but those are like $40 each. Still need the correct faceplate for the scanner.

XTL5000 VHF for ham use on P25
XTL5000 UHF for ham use on P25 ( 440-512 ) modified for ham use.
BCD996T - I run a 996T in my truck also.
Speakers are motorola with escutcheons from speaker mics I had new.

I like the amber look on my set up so decide not to put the new 536hp in it as of right now. (Haven't bought one yet. I want a dualband ham radio first)

Will be adding some kind of dual band amateur radio that does 2m/440 later as $$ permits.

Sill deciding on how to finish the wood. Stain it or paint it or cover it in something.

I still need to add a wood panel to the top and the back, plus a handle.
It holds 18 inches of faceplate space.
uzaqygy2.jpg
y6uta5up.jpg
u6adese3.jpg
qynupezu.jpg
arezega7.jpg

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
That is great work! I too never would have thought of something like that!

Mike

fdscan

I agree with the carpet idea. As long as it's thin... I've done a similar sort of thing with a wooden box for the interior of a truck.

Look for 3M adhesive spray if you don't already have it, at your local hardware store. Works great with the felt/carpet material when you need to use it on wood.

Great job on this, looks like you took your time measuring and making sure everything was spot on.

uman18

The XTLs are for ham use and have also some frequencies to monitor PD and Fire. I live about. 60 miles north of LA but get plenty of traffic from LA, not all LAPD channels. The UHF doesn't get much use right now for ham compared to the VHF XTL.

The speaker faceplates were for a kenwood speaker and had cutouts but I had to drill the holes for the screws.

Thanks for the compliments.
Also here is a pic of my Astro Spectra in my truck. I took the maratrac housing and put the w9 head in it to match my truck interior.
qyvage9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parkerbs

Premium Subscriber
Looks good! I am actually doing the same thing with some radios that I pulled out of my truck. I figured well hell they have their own console brackets why not build a rack that uses those style brackets.

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
He answers this in his original post...

Havis doesn't sell directly to the public. They make consoles and mounting solutions for public safety vehicles. They aren't a company that makes things specifically for things like this. That is why I asked where he got it and what he used.

Status
Not open for further replies.