My bedside command post

Status
Not open for further replies.

brndnstffrd

Something that could look pretty good for a finish could be spray on truckbed liner. It would have a nice textured finish and should add some durability so you dont have to worry about nicking or putting dings in the wood, although i have never tried using it on wood, only plastic or metal so you may want to sets it out first to see how it looks. You will also want to look around because some of the brands have more of a rubbery feel and some are more of a plastic feel to them so you would need to find one that you like and also experiment to get the texture to match the faceplates

Or as another option, you could just use regular crinkle finish paint if you dont want to mess around with experimenting with the different brands/types of bedliner

rapidcharger

Instead of spray on bed liner, I'd just run over to the local home improvement store and get a sheet of laminate (Formica) and adhesive (normally used on particle board for kitchen counters). There's quite a bit of them to choose from, even solid colors like black and white.

Either way, that's a clever setup. Thanks for sharing.

uman18

my command post

Oh wow I didn't know I had more response to my post.

i have considered a laminate, tolex, spray paint with a texture, speaker carpeting, but carpeting I have ruled out for sure, but most likely will go with a wood stain.

Yes Motorola radios are not cheap but if you wait, the right deal comes along. Commercial radios are not for everyone. I happen to know a group of hams that are into the commercial radios and are in the business.

Also I didn't buy everything at once! The radios had lower options and upgraded them as I had funds. The VHF XTL had a W5 head and later added the O5 head plus $50 to upgrade the firmware to accept the O5 head, plus $100 in parts including the O5 head. I say this has been something in the works for 3 years. Also sold my other commercial radios to fund the radios.

Havis is a company in the business of providing mounting solutions for public safety, but their items are available via dealers. Faceplates are nothing special. I got them from Responder Public Safety Equipment Police Lights
1-Piece Equipment Mounting Bracket, 3" Mounting Space, Fits Kenwood KES-3 Speaker

Attachments

• c-eb30-kes-1p-1__28747.jpg
    c-eb30-kes-1p-1__28747.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,064

PACNWDude

Nice XTL5K and scanner setup.

Very nice setup. I like how everything looks like it was given enough room to vent off heat and not crammed on top of one another.

VHF gets more use in my area as well. WA state. Still using Vertex commercial radios in my car. But Motorola's are in my truck. Still at the CDM/XPR level here though. Not enough digital in use yet to go all in.

Good luck on whatever you use to finish the wood, it looks great as it stands now.

For those wondering where to get these radios, auction sites online have these quite often. You can buy an entire turn key police car, minus the weapons and codes for the mobile data terminal at times.

uman18

Very nice setup. I like how everything looks like it was given enough room to vent off heat and not crammed on top of one another.

VHF gets more use in my area as well. WA state. Still using Vertex commercial radios in my car. But Motorola's are in my truck. Still at the CDM/XPR level here though. Not enough digital in use yet to go all in.

Good luck on whatever you use to finish the wood, it looks great as it stands now.

For those wondering where to get these radios, auction sites online have these quite often. You can buy an entire turn key police car, minus the weapons and codes for the mobile data terminal at times.

I use to run CDM1250's , I still have hT750's for my GMRS repeater. The XPR line is nice too.

Thanks , will keep updating as I add and finish my bedside command post .

Part of the reason I recessed everything back a bit was ,so if I had to transport the unit, the knobs wouldn't get bent etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPD

I like your idea and set up. What Motorola speaker models are those? I like the rectangle size and being able to mount in a faceplate. I'd also be interested in the model number for the Havis plate for the speaker.

Okay, just saw your last post for the faceplate, but still have the speaker question.

Last edited:

fdscan

The speakers are the generic speakers you can get from Radioshack or wherever meant for scanners, I believe...

He said in the first post that he put the Motorola escutcheon on them so they'd fit the console a little bit better.

uman18

SPEAKER

The speakers are Motorola speakers, part# HSN8145B

I will post pics of the back once I add the correct fuse block/power distribution. Right now its nasty.

In the mean time I've working on a portable 12V battery box that has a 12amp battery. To recharge my portables or even run my 996T or XTLs for a short period.

The box and be recharged with ant ac to dc adapter or a solar panel.

uman18

more pics

I added a top and some back supports to my set up...im not a wood worker so the cuts were not squared but Im fine with the results. I started to stain the wood, but don't know how it will turn out!

Still need to mount a correct fuse block and power distribution.

In the pic you can see my 12v, 12ah battery box in action.

Even when plugged in at the house, the XTL's run on 10watts. So on the 12ah battery I can maybe get 1.5-2 hours of run time.

Also it can charge my portables, which is the primary function.

I will be building a 100ah battery kit later.

Attachments

• Front_zps8e88e0a4.jpg
    Front_zps8e88e0a4.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • box_zps5f77d038.jpg
    box_zps5f77d038.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 988
  • back_zps76196c0b.jpg
    back_zps76196c0b.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 988
  • 1396568051_zps7d31dc19.jpg
    1396568051_zps7d31dc19.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 928

Ozzychaser

Nice, If you decide you do not like the stain afterwards have you considered a vinyl cover?.. Relatively thin and quite easy to take care of.. Spray adhesive should still work ok.. A textured black to be a close match to the facia panels or something close to the trim of your car?..

uman18

I have been considering a vinyl or I think something called tolex, I think it's the same thing. Maybe when I get the last radio in, I'll make some change to it.

brndnstffrd

I didnt even think of using tolex, that should look pretty nice on that. Tolex is what is typically used on the outside of guitar amps if anyone was wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.