My first scanner, Realistic pro-2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trento

Hello, I've read the manual a few times over for this 300 channel Realistic pro-2004.
I was interested in scanning and hearing transmissions from police, fire, aviation, metro and txdot through houston.
My neighbor gifted me this old scanner and included the manual , but i cant seem to figure it out still.
I cannot get to the point where i can halt on bank 1 and set my new programs. As ive already replaced the 9volt battery in the back, Im thinking it would have reset all his old frequencies programmed.
Also When i choose to manually enter a frequency to program. Ex 143.755
The decimal button does not appear, I can only search 1437...
Is this a Faulty decimal button and is there any way around this.

PACNWDude

Pro-2004 often have failed buttons on their keypad as they age. Go look up videos on how to fix this if you are handy with repairing electronics.

The Pro-2006 with actual buttons, not the film face type often hold up slightly better. Still it is probably repairable. 2004 and 2006 scanners hold up well over time. I still use my Pro-2006 for air scanning. It does not do digital or trunking, but for old school analog, it works very well.

Trento

Thanks for the reply, I can try searching youtube more in depth later tonight.
Im fairly good at replacing cell phone parts and small electronics so If I can find a cheap part or alternative. And a video or diagram or something I think I could manage the repair.
As for practicality Using this scanner today? Is it up to par with something mobile I can find off craigslist or ebay for around 30$ ?
I dont necessarily understand trunking? IS that encryption?

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
You have a scanner that is good for monitoring aircraft, railroads, and some of the fire departments in metro Harris County, but not much else.

I highly recommend going to the Radioreference Wiki and reading the Scanning 101 and Trunking Basics articles. Most public safety and all but one of the police departments in Harris County operate on the TxWARN P25 system.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
You have a scanner that is good for monitoring aircraft, railroads, and some of the fire departments in metro Harris County, but not much else.

Don't be discouraged OP! You can monitor much more with your scanner. Such as amateur radio, CB radio, FRS/GMRS/MURS, taxi companies, local businesses, etc.

But to listen to the cops you need a modern digital scanner.

wtp

one work around

if you wanted that 143.775 in the radio.
i can think of one way.
set up a scan from 143 to 144, as in no decimals.
hit manual 1 manual
then hit the up or down arrow
now you might get lucky but hit monitor and use the arrows with the squelch tripped until you get to 143.775
as you are still on monitor hit enter and it should load 143.775 into the number 1 channel.
i might be a little off but you might get the idea.
it beats hearing static.

iamhere300

"The 2004 is a classic scanner, but sadly as they said above, it is severely limited in a digital trunking area.

I got one when they first came out, had cellular enabled out of the box. Very soon after, they changed that to have cell blocked (But easily enabled) Now that cellular is digital, it too is not monitored by the 2004

If you decide you want to sell it, let me know, I can use it as a dedicated scanner for an audio feed.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
... taxi companies, local businesses, etc.

Much of this traffic is now carried on TRBO systems in the Houston market, with a smattering of NXDN. SMR operators are transitioning their legacy LTR systems to TRBO/NXDN as quickly as they can transition users to increase capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.