My HF mobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
af5rn said:
This is something I have actually been wondering about myself. I have wondered what HF range I could expect to work reasonably well with a quality, well ground-planed, 11 meter antenna, utilising an antenna tuner. Anybody else have experience with this?

Yes, I have. Not with an 11 meter antenna, but certainly with a ten meter antenna. If the auto tuner is properly installed, it works well. By "properly", i mean SHORT grounds and SHORT lead to the antenna base with no coax anywhere on the antenna side of the tuner. It's a high current point, and you must realize that the antenna actually starts at the last lumped element in the matching network.

To the OP... have you tried CW mobile yet? I set the keyer in the center console where the cup holders are, and copy in my head. The scratch pad records only call, name, and times. Everything else is recorded in wetware. I usually copy cw with my eyes closed, but I can't do that driving!

k9rzz

zz0468 said:
To the OP... have you tried CW mobile yet? I set the keyer in the center console where the cup holders are, and copy in my head. The scratch pad records only call, name, and times. Everything else is recorded in wetware. I usually copy cw with my eyes closed, but I can't do that driving!

Yes!!

I've worked both Maine and Wyoming on 20 CW while in motion. Guess after using CW for 30 years, it's just like talking to someone sitting next to you. I put the paddles on the passenger seat and elevated my arm on some 'stuff' so my hand could hang down just a bit. Quite comfortable. It would be pretty hard to do in the city, when you've got to shift gears, but on the open highway, it's FUN! (oh, I do have the 350hz narrow CW filter in that rig. Not too tight, but better than the wide SSB filter that's stock.)

1153.gif
Dah di dah dit ... dah dah di dah

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.