My Shack.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp883

Some nice setups here. This is my shack...it's been posted before but there have been some equipment changes since the last posting.

The scanning/monitoring side of my shack consists of 2 BC-780's, 2 BC-895's, a BC-890, and a Regency ACT-C-4HLU 4-channel crystal scanner (my first ever scanner). For portable scanning I have a Sony Wavehawk handheld and a JD-100 handheld aviation receiver.

For shortwave and utility listening I have an Icom VR-500 handheld receiver and a Radio Shack DX-392.

For amateur radio I have 2 Yaesu FT-7800's for VHF/UHF and an Icom IC-756 for HF. For portable VHF/UHF I have a Yaesu FT-60 handheld transceiver. Though it's not in the picture my mobile rig is a Kenwood TM-V708A.

The scanners are on the upper shelf of my multi-level wrap-around computer table and the ham radio gear is on a table right next to the scanner end of the computer table. Fortunately the radios are not affected by the computer at all. All in all it's a nice place to hang out and relax :D . Now if could only find a place to set up my other 6 crystal scanners that are packed away in my closet :roll: .

Attachments

• KC2PJL's Shack.JPG
    KC2PJL's Shack.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,019
  • KC2PJL's Shack (1).JPG
    KC2PJL's Shack (1).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • KC2PJL's Shack (2).JPG
    KC2PJL's Shack (2).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,027

jmp883

Thanks for the nice comments.....

The GRE amp was probably the best piece of equipment I bought for my shack. Without it, even with my roof-mounted antenna, I was lucky to hear my local PD/FD/EMS units. That's one reason why I now have 5 scanners in the shack. I can hear so much more with the amp that I piggybacked all 5 scanners into the amp. I can hear basically the northern third of NJ, southern NY, and NYC/western Long Island. I'm about 25-30 miles northwest of NYC.

The top 2 scanners on the left are 895's. The bottom one is a BC-890. It doesn't hold memories anymore but that's not an issue for me since I use it as my weather alert radio.
The 895's and the 780's are all programmed identically, using the awesome Scantrol program.

Like I said before...it's a great place to hang out and relax.

jmp883

JFish,

The 5 scanners and the Yaesu VR-500 are all coupled through the GRE amp which is connected to a Grove Scantenna mounted on my old TV mast just above the roofline of my house. The Yaesu FT-7800's and the Icom IC-756 are connected to a Comet UHV-6 mobile VHF/UHF/HF antenna mounted on a permanently mounted air conditioner. The antenna has coils for 70cm, 2M, 6M, 10M, 15M, 20M, and 40M.

Kvg911 and Xpawel15x, I live in northern Passaic County. If you monitor public safety radio at all you may have heard me. For the last 16 years I've been a dispatcher for Wanaque PD. I'm currently full-time with them but I was also a part-time dispatcher in Wanaque for 10 years while I working full-time dispatching for Wayne PD. For 3 years in the early 90's I also dispatched for Ramsey PD on the Saturday dayshift. It was a day off from Wayne PD so I dispatched Ramsey Saturday from 7am to 3pm, drove to Wanaque, changed uniforms, and dispatched the 4pm-12am shift. Sunday I went back to work in Wayne!

I guess you could say I like dispatching....16 years and I'm still waiting for it to become a job!

Last edited:

jmp883

Thanks Manny,

I like the FT-60 a lot. It's a rugged radio that's served me well in the 2-3 years since I've been licensed. I bought an FDNY radio holster/shoulder strap at a hamfest and the FT fits in it very nicely. There's even a loop on the strap to hold a speaker-mic and the FT-60's speaker-mic fits that loop.

The Icom IC-756 is the very first, pre-PRO version. It does have the well-documented display problem, that is the horizontal lines running all through the display. The display itself is rock steady and fully legible so I don't care. It's a $3000 rig that I picked up for $625 and everything works as advertised! Can't beat that deal :wink: !

I've made contacts with the 756 in western Europe and all over the US and I'm not even running the most ideal antenna that I'd like to be. Once I figure out how to get that G5RV dipole mounted up the 756 is really going to be fun to operate with.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.