My Small Temporary Monitoring Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello All!
We are in the process of remodelling the family room which is unfortunately where my monitoring area is. In the mean time, I have moved some of my most treasured radios up to my night stand. So, here it is!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2146793120021435046BEVbNH

From left to right;
Ft 60 Ham portable with original battery, and back up 2500 mAh battery and rapid charger.
2 Kenwood commercial TK-380s with full DTMF pads,440-490 MHZ and quick chargers. Both with 2100MaH batteries
Pro-84
AOR-8200 MK3 with Sanyo 2700 mAh batteries
MFJ-886 Feq. Counter 1MHZ-3GHZ
BC-785
BCT-15
AND the pride and joy of the shack, The BCD996T Digital! The little guy on top is the very hard to find GRE super amplifier 3001 with a maxrad 800 antenna that I repainted black.
The big boy in the background is a sony basic am.fm radio casette player just in case the lights go out!

Thats all the stuff that is out for now. The big ham gear is in storage. Too expensive to leave out.
Thats all guys! Not much but it works!
Enjoy!

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the compliment AZ! LOL...Santa has been slacking with your gifts ey? HMM..

I have a very undertanding wife who is also a Ham and enjoys the scanning with me!

I'll see if I can put a god word with Santa for ya! ;-)

Mike, I LOVE my 3001 Amp! I actualy picked it up at a Hamfest for $10 in NYC. I would Never get rid of it. I'd like to find another one!

Manny

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
I have some curiosity towards the Pro-2006 project thats in your other pictures? Whats with that, looks to be an external s-meter for it? Don't mean to go off topic but but I must ask.

Brian

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Oh yes! THe Pro 2006 project.

In the spirit of scanner hacking when that was possible and as a tribute to the late Bill Cheek who was known for his scanner modification hand books, I had an engineer aquaintence of mine build the box you see on top of the Pro 2006. The box contains 2 analog meters taken from an ICOM IC 756 radio. One is used for center tune, the other for analog signal strength. The LEDs are the digital version of the center tune and signal meters. The signal is tapped from the scanner at 2 different points and is brought to the box via 2 rca cables. The on and off switches allow you to switch between off/analog/digital or both. The whole thing is really cool even though it cost me a pretty penny to get it done. The radio itself has a carrier- on indicator light that goes on when signal comes in regardless of the volume setting. I also replaced the headphone jack with an on and off switch for the keyboard beep. I really love that radio. During the renovation of my family room, it is one of the pieces I have put away so that it does not get damaged.

Manny

commscanaus

Great bedside shack there Manny!

I like the way you have stacked the mobile units.

Very impressed by the PRO2006 signal strength add on- a beautiful job to say the least.
I have a pair of PRO2006's and all of Bill Cheek's books. If only I had the spare time to add some mods to them. Must say seeing that picture has really revived my interest in a project or two for those radio's. I spend more tome listening to P25 nowadays- so the older sets don't get as much use.

I'm sure many will agree- the PRO2005/2006 are the probably one of the best scanners ever built.
Such a shame that Bill Cheek is no longer with us and able to see the technology available now- He would be very impressed!

Commscanaus.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the compliment COMM!
I have to say, that I love that scanner more than the newer ones in a way because of the hacking ability. It allowed you to have fun or pick up where the manufacturer left off. I use the 2006 for Millair monitoring! There are still quite a few more mods that can be done. People were always so busy worying about cell band mods that they forgot how much more there was to theses radios. The only thing I have had to replace was the EL light! Thats it! I use it with an external wall wart. I took out the internal transformer, since the radio was getting SOOOOO much use! I may throw in the optoscan 456 lite someday, I dont know!

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Helps To Have An Understanding Wife That's Also A Ham!

Thanks Hoser!
Its kind of weird! I had a large desk set up and now Im down to this little cramped space! The family room needed some updates as did my desk so I HAD to do this.
The old desk was buckling from the weight. I was going to have to do it anyway! The meter project was fun,expensive, but fun. Its nice having something unique!

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.