My Tower Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevyman22360

I finally got around to taking a couple pictures of my tower. I have the scantenna mounted off the side with RG-11 running down into a box where i have my lightning surge protectors. Then have Diamond Discone with LMR-400, then the Channel Master Tv Antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,932
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,875

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm guessing you live in a rural area where you can't get cable, or you have satellite TV and want your local stations, or you just like to DX TV stations.

At any rate, sounds like your setup should perform very nicely. Congrats on the nice job.

Mike

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
i have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?

Chevyman22360

wogggieee said:
i have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?

Very Carefully, have a climbing belt and don't make any bad moves.
Ropes come in very handy, just do as much as you can on the ground, then just a matter of mounting on the pole and connecting your coax.

Chevyman22360

mtindor said:
I'm guessing you live in a rural area where you can't get cable, or you have satellite TV and want your local stations, or you just like to DX TV stations.

At any rate, sounds like your setup should perform very nicely. Congrats on the nice job.

Mike
I do live in a rural area, just don't watch alot of tv, too busy listening to scanners.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
Chevyman22360 said:
Very Carefully, have a climbing belt and don't make any bad moves.
Ropes come in very handy, just do as much as you can on the ground, then just a matter of mounting on the pole and connecting your coax.

How do you actually get them up to the mounting location on the tower from the ground? Just pull it up with ropes?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
wogggieee said:
How do you actually get them up to the mounting location on the tower from the ground? Just pull it up with ropes?

Some use devices called gin poles, they attach to the side of the tower, have a pulley at the top. The rope goes up the inside of the gin pole, out the top over the pulley. It helps to have a pulley at the base of the tower to help with the workforce redirection.

Friends (bribed with beer and grilled food) pull the ropes while you're strapped securely to the tower awaiting your new aluminum lightning rod to arrive (hopefully) safely at the top where you wrestle it into place and secure it.

Do a quick google search for gin pole, you'll find them.. They're not cheap, but doing an antenna of any size without one is a real challenge.

rcvmo

I have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?

No. # 1.............A good ground crew.
No. #2..............Start early. The Bulding Inspector / Ordinance Off. doesn't get out of bed until 8:00am. Then again, you wouldn't want to be in the air in the heat of the afternoon.
(take a camera with you, when up that close to God, some pictures are worth a thousand words.)
No. #3..............Plenty of Food, coffee in the morning, and beer later in the afternoon.
No. # 4.............Don't party the night before.

In reference to No. #2, find out what the Building Insp. like to have for a night cap. Go out and buy that and have it on hand should he attend you tower raising party unnannounced.

Anyways, Beautiful job. You can always make some side arms on that and add more.
rcvmo

Chevyman22360

rcvmo said:
I have a questions for all you folks with towers. How do you get those antennas, and some of them are rather big, up on those towers and mounted?

No. # 1.............A good ground crew.
No. #2..............Start early. The Bulding Inspector / Ordinance Off. doesn't get out of bed until 8:00am. Then again, you wouldn't want to be in the air in the heat of the afternoon.
(take a camera with you, when up that close to God, some pictures are worth a thousand words.)
No. #3..............Plenty of Food, coffee in the morning, and beer later in the afternoon.
No. # 4.............Don't party the night before.

In reference to No. #2, find out what the Building Insp. like to have for a night cap. Go out and buy that and have it on hand should he attend you tower raising party unnannounced.

Anyways, Beautiful job. You can always make some side arms on that and add more.
rcvmo

My brother in law used to do tower work on towers much larger than mine. When I installed my antennas I just had a simple climbing belt that goes around the waist and you tie yourself, once you get up there. Then I just used a rope to pull my antenna up. Most of the time, did it when no one else was around. He pretty much chewed me out, gotta have a ground crew, gotta have a pully attached to your belt then let your ground crew pull your antennas up. Needless to say, he gave me over $500.00 in climbing gear, full body harness, everything. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!

Chevyman22360

It is actually a 64 foot. Rohn HDBX-64, yea gets really skinny way at the top, not alot of room for the feet.

delta_p

So how do you actually get the tower up? with crane or something?

PP

Chevyman22360

delta_p said:
So how do you actually get the tower up? with crane or something?

PP
I bought this tower used from a neighbor, he took it down all as one with a boom truck, I took all the sections apart. Poured my 5x5x5 chunk of concrete, then used a gin pole that the local ham radio shop was kind enough to let me use. Then got everything setup and my wife pulled the sections up to me and I bolted them together. Went pretty fast, last couple sections were the toughest.

Status
Not open for further replies.