Narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,242
Reaction score
393
Location
Fortunately, GA
We know that they will go narrow banded. We know when they have to have those radios. My question is,
has anyone heard any of the railroads using the 7.5Khz bandplan yet? Most new scanners do the split. Some new ham radios do the new split. But, do we really need to beat the P-25 digital locomotive into a bloody mess and leave it on a side track in pain? I love listening to CSX and NS in my area and have yet to hear anything on the new frequencies.
Larry
 

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,906
Reaction score
2,592
Location
Bowie, Md.
There was an article from N2NOV on the NYDXA net on this very topic. I've incorporated them into the Railroad article in our wiki (see the 4th topic). Evidently they will eventually move to a 6.25 khz split. I'm currently working on the new frequencies chart...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Railroad

73 Mike
 
Last edited:

N8IAA

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
7,242
Reaction score
393
Location
Fortunately, GA
Outstanding, Mike. Thanks for the info. Why the 6.25 split? The 7.5 added enough extra channels.
Larry
 

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,906
Reaction score
2,592
Location
Bowie, Md.
Dunno, Larry. Perhaps Charlie will chime in here - this is an area where my knowledge is a bit weak. I would think that with other services going to 7.5 khz splits eventually, that the RR service would maintain that spacing to be compatible with adjacent services, and open the door for interop. But I am making an assumption here, and that's always dangerous...73 Mike
 

KE7JFF

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
UP I know around these parts (Portland, Oregon) could make the jump overnight to P25 if they wanted to since they already have an P25 trunking system in the yards and their handhelds already can do P25 as a result.

Now would they? I don't think so as they got a good system down as is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top