Nascar radio range

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I apologize if this question has already been asked, but for some reason the search function didn't want to work on my tablet.

Anyway, just wondering what the general range is for radios used at NASCAR events? When the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series races roll into Chicagoland later this Summer, I'd like to park somewhere close (within a quarter to half mile if possible) to the track and listen in. Would their transmission carry that far?

Thanks in advance for any information provided.

:)

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
The stubby I use at Martinsville loses range quickly as I walk away from the track..... 500 yards and it gets weak

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
When at MIS I never had any issues receiving the teams while we were in the campround (Juniper Hills... across the highway from the track) which would be a good 3/4 to a mile away. When I was in Charlotte we were likely a mile and a half or so from the track (maybe 2) and I could pickup very little. A lot of it will have to do with the layout of the grandstands, where the transmitters are etc etc.

The radios in the cars are probably very low power to save on weight. Less than a watt would cover their needs just fine, but beyond the grandstands and berms fall off fairly quickly..

Steveradio

up here at Pocono Raceway you can get Maintenance/Security and other services up to a few miles away as far as the cars with in the track area. Nascar its self is pretty much Digital now..
The drivers/teams once again depends on track maybe 1/4 mile.

brin831

Nascar its self is pretty much Digital now..
The drivers/teams once again depends on track maybe 1/4 mile.

nascar does still have an analog patch for its main channels for crews (who are only analog and only allowed to be analog) and various track personnel.

The radios themselves are simply handhelds with custom ptt and mic adaptors in the cars.

i would assume 4 watt and all are simplex, however teams may have multiple channels that they use ie one for crew chief to car, one for crew chief to team, one for everyone, one for spotter to car, and one for rx of nascar race control ... it would not be uncommon for a crew chief to have 3 plus radios on all plugged into a headset at one time.

the reason i would assume 4 watt is simply the noise floor at a race track is astronomical think about it
40 ish teams, 1000's officials, fire/race safety, medical, police, fire, private security, track personnel, food and beverage and services, not to mention production crews for broadcast, wireless ifb's etc ... then each in car wireless camera and hand held camera has data control signals, and each car has a uhf transponder for telemetry backup, gps is primary ... you quickly get literally hundreds of wireless frequencies!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm sure they need the higher power to pickup through the mudd also larger tracks such as watkins glen daytona etc yes line of sight would be fine over 2.5 mile distance but ht to ht you need the extra tx power and teams are not running repeaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.