NC Highway Patrol Identifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quantar22

And that is sad, when an true emergency hits, and folks die, maybe heads will roll and DAs will no longer be the ones running the radios where the primary function and even NAME of the system is about interop! So glad they are doing it right here in IN on SAFE-T.

From my sources who wish to remain anonymous they are indeed monitored..... one might think that since the communications center that is the referenced area covers 27 counties they might be a little busy at times and could have missed the call(s) referenced above? Sure seems to be a lot of SHP and VIPER bashing on here lately. I am not taking up for those guys and am not making excuses but a wise man once told me it is easy to make the calls from the cheap seats. I know when the patrol merged communications centers there were some severe staffing issues but I have heard that those problems are gone.

WA4MJF

From my sources who wish to remain anonymous they are indeed monitored..... one might think that since the communications center that is the referenced area covers 27 counties they might be a little busy at times and could have missed the call(s) referenced above? Sure seems to be a lot of SHP and VIPER bashing on here lately. I am not taking up for those guys and am not making excuses but a wise man once told me it is easy to make the calls from the cheap seats. I know when the patrol merged communications centers there were some severe staffing issues but I have heard that those problems are gone.

It not just once in a while, it was EVERY time, I not the only one. One that stands out was Sunday morning, during church time at a MVC. After an hour we wanted to get an ETA on the Patrolman and get a rotation wrecker on way, no answer on radio, not have my cell, so borrowed medic's and called. No one at the county had called SHP. So they did not know anything about it. The TC hisownself told me that MA was turned down. I don't try anymore, I just call on the cell phone.

BTW, what is a cheap seat? Not familiar with the term.

Ronnie

Flyham

It not just once in a while, it was EVERY time, I not the only one. One that stands out was Sunday morning, during church time at a MVC. After an hour we wanted to get an ETA on the Patrolman and get a rotation wrecker on way, no answer on radio, not have my cell, so borrowed medic's and called. No one at the county had called SHP. So they did not know anything about it. The TC hisownself told me that MA was turned down. I don't try anymore, I just call on the cell phone.

BTW, what is a cheap seat? Not familiar with the term.

Ronnie

Regarding Mutaid and Comm 2. It boils down to training on both sides of the console (Regardless of city, county, or state level). Also M/A, calling and event channels. This doesnt even get covered in the daily operations. Take a stroll of pages 3 - 5 of this document .. https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/pdf/dtmfref.pdf

WA4MJF

Regarding Mutaid and Comm 2. It boils down to training on both sides of the console (Regardless of city, county, or state level). Also M/A, calling and event channels. This doesnt even get covered in the daily operations. Take a stroll of pages 3 - 5 of this document .. https://www2.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/EMS/pdf/dtmfref.pdf

Knew all of that, but if the MA is turned down on the console, it is useless.

Not upset, just allowing that you should keep a cell phone handy to talk to
Troop Radios, at least C Troop.

Ronnie

fyrboy

Is it appropriate to ask here if anyone knows the history of the troopers' numbering system, specifically, how the numbers were developed - x11, x22, x23, x24, then the jump to the worker bees' numbers? Here's a July 1, 1929 newspaper article. The difference in size is due to them being in different columns. Let me know if these are not welcome and I'll remove them. I have several other vintage articles if they need to be sent to individuals at their request.

Attachments

• 7-1 Asheville Citizen, Page 1.jpg
    7-1 Asheville Citizen, Page 1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 7-1 Asheville Citizen, Page 2.jpg
    7-1 Asheville Citizen, Page 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 157
Status
Not open for further replies.