Need help deciding on a scanner

itsj4y

My grandfather is wanting a scanner to monitor his local EMS. He purchased a Uniden BCD160DN but it appears that his county (Winston County, MS) is using MSWIN Project 25 Phase 2. Would the Uniden BCD325P2 be able to pick up those channels?

Bob1955

My grandfather is wanting a scanner to monitor his local EMS. He purchased a Uniden BCD160DN but it appears that his county (Winston County, MS) is using MSWIN Project 25 Phase 2. Would the Uniden BCD325P2 be able to pick up those channels?

itsj4y-Yes, the Uniden Bearcat BCD325P2 would pick up those channels.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
The BCD325P2 doesn't (as a rule) deal well with P25 simulcast systems, but looking at the database it would appear that thare are two single-tower MSWIN sites in Winston County so you should be OK.

You might want to click the "Report" link on your post and ask the moderators to move it to the MIssissippi-specific forum, where there may be someone who is local to Winston county who can chime in, rather than your getting answers from folks (like me) who are hundreds of miles away!

RMason

Premium Subscriber
The BCD325P2 will do well in Winston County. I am monitoring MSWIN on the Louisville SE site now on a BCD996P2. The BCD325P2 is the handheld version of the BCD996P2.

itsj4y

Ok thanks for the info guys.
The BCD325P2 will do well in Winston County. I am monitoring MSWIN on the Louisville SE site now on a BCD996P2. The BCD325P2 is the handheld version of the BCD996P2.
How difficult was it to program?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
How difficult was it to program?
The programming is made easier through the use of software. Programming software for the BCD325P2 includes Proscan, ARC-XT, and FreeScan. (I use Proscan.) I can provide a Proscan or FreeScan file for your area to help get you started.
  • Proscan: The License Cost for Proscan is $50.00 USD. Proscan provides support for multiple models of Uniden scanners. You can "try before you buy" with a 30 day fully functional trial. See ProScan for information
  • ARC-XT: The license cost for ARC-XT Basic is $39.95. ARC-XT Pro is $69.95. Demo download is available. See ARC XT BASIC software download for information.
  • FreeScan: FreeScan is freeware. See here for information: Sixspot Software - FreeSCAN . FreeScan is no longer under development.

Last edited:

itsj4y

The programming is made easier through the use of software. Programming software for the BCD325P2 includes Proscan, ARC-XT, and FreeScan. (I use Proscan.) I can provide a Proscan or FreeScan file for your area to help get you started.
  • Proscan: The License Cost for Proscan is $50.00 USD. Proscan provides support for multiple models of Uniden scanners. You can "try before you buy" with a 30 day fully functional trial. See ProScan for information
  • ARC-XT: The license cost for ARC-XT Basic is $39.95. ARC-XT Pro is $69.95. Demo download is available. See ARC XT BASIC software download for information.
  • FreeScan: FreeScan is freeware. See here for information: Sixspot Software - FreeSCAN . FreeScan is no longer under development.
Is there a reason to purchase the software after initial programming? does the scanner quit working after the trial period?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reason to purchase the software after initial programming? does the scanner quit working after the trial period?
You may choose to modify/update the programming periodically after the initial setup. It is also useful to have the programming saved on a computer as a backup in case something happens. The scanner will not quit working after the software expires - all of the programming is written to the scanner.

I believe that FreeScan will likely meet your needs for basic programming. You can always reconsider purchasing other software if your needs increase over time.

Last edited:

itsj4y

You may choose to modify/update the programming periodically after the initial setup. It is also useful to have the programming saved on a computer as a backup in case something happens. The scanner will not quit working after the software expires - all of the programming is written to the scanner.

I believe that FreeScan will likely meet your needs for basic programming. You can always reconsider purchasing other software if your needs increase over time.
Ok thanks that makes sense.. as long as the channels don't change i don't foresee him ever wanting to modify it.