Need Help with Metro-25/MTA MRRS

Jmbjr127

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to program my scanner to receive transmissions from Pleasantville (NY) PD since they apparently joined MRRS on 5/6/24. I have been using my Radio Shack Pro-97 for a long time, but I can’t seem to get the frequencies that I found for MRRS Zone 2 to work. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Jim

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The pro 97 does not decode digital trunking which is what the MRRS system is. Time for a new scanner or sdr dongles and software.

1717600439244.png

tvengr

Well Known Member
The Zone 3 site for Westchester County is simulcast. The only scanners designed to receive simulcast sites are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. Any other scanners may or may not work depending upon your location. Here is a list of P25 Phase 2 capable scanners:

Attachments

• P25 Phase 2 Scanners.pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 35

Jmbjr127

The Zone 3 site for Westchester County is simulcast. The only scanners designed to receive simulcast sites are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. Any other scanners may or may not work depending upon your location. Here is a list of P25 Phase 2 capable scanners:
Thank you. This is very helpful information. I appreciate you sharing it.

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
Maybe you can help. I have downloaded the Metro-25/MTA MRRS system from RR. Loaded it into my HP-2. Nothing. Cant even get a hit on a control channel. I about 5 miles from the Babylon TS. I have a nice 18" whip feeding a Stridesburg pre-amp. A friend works for the MTA, confirmed RR info good. WTF am I doing wrong. This is the only system I cant receive.

seagravebuff60

Office Assistant
Feed Provider
Maybe you can help. I have downloaded the Metro-25/MTA MRRS system from RR. Loaded it into my HP-2. Nothing. Cant even get a hit on a control channel. I about 5 miles from the Babylon TS. I have a nice 18" whip feeding a Stridesburg pre-amp. A friend works for the MTA, confirmed RR info good. WTF am I doing wrong. This is the only system I cant receive.
I'm assuming you are programming in Zone 1. I'm sure that the HP-2 is suffering from simulcast distortion. I've never dealt with an HP-2, but can you try changing the P25 Threshold if you have that option? Do you have another receiver that you can try with?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please attach your favorites list file so we can take a look at it. Go to the File tab in HomePatrol Sentinel and click on Export to hpe file. You will need to zip the exported file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.

SABER3

Saber3
Premium Subscriber
TY for the reply. i have a 396XT. will try that. the only other issue is does the HP-2 have to have any updates. i know they had the extreme update for the HP-1 which i purchased from Scannermaster, but never got it for the HP-2 becuz i thought it did Phase 2 out of the box.

WestchesterFreq

Premium Subscriber
Hello. I am trying to figure out how to program my scanner to receive transmissions from Pleasantville (NY) PD since they apparently joined MRRS on 5/6/24. I have been using my Radio Shack Pro-97 for a long time, but I can’t seem to get the frequencies that I found for MRRS Zone 2 to work. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim - Ever have any luck with Pleasantville PD? I have not with my BCD536HP or 436HP.

WestchesterFreq

Premium Subscriber
No luck at all. Now I can’t even get Mt. Pleasant PD. I’m probably going to have to go with the SMS100. Big bucks, but I think I’m worth the investment!
I’m able to get Mt. Pleasant as they switched over to digital (still 156.015) but Pville is hiding. They are building a new tower and supposedly using LTE until that’s complete but ??? Who knows.

seagravebuff60

Office Assistant
Feed Provider
No luck at all. Now I can’t even get Mt. Pleasant PD. I’m probably going to have to go with the SMS100. Big bucks, but I think I’m worth the investment!
Correct. Mount Pleasant PD remains on the same frequency but is switched to P25. See the link below.
I haven't heard of the SMS100. Is that like some kind of Text Messaging upgrade? LOL. Anyway, Yes, I have my SDS200 listening to Mount Pleasant PD (And other P25 departments), and it's great.

Also, Pleasantville PD uses LTE, so when they do, you won't hear them. I get them on my SDRs using SDR Trunk, but only when they Affiliate to RF, which is not a lot of the time. They are on the Zone 2 and Zone 3 Simulcast. I think the LTE Network differs from Verizon, but I get like no signal, sometimes not even LTE, in the village around the firehouse and downtown near Manville and Bedford Roads. When I do get LTE, it's very, very slow.
Dobbs Ferry PD also relies on LTE heavily, so im surprised when I hear them.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Most public safety agencies use AT&T FirstNet for LTE service, however VZW does offer their own public safety LTE core/network known as Frontline.

WestchesterFreq

Premium Subscriber
I think the LTE Network differs from Verizon, but I get like no signal, sometimes not even LTE, in the village around the firehouse and downtown near Manville and Bedford Roads. When I do get LTE, it's very, very slow.
Nick, I have Verizon and when I leave my home (at a higher elevation) and go through the downtown the call frequently drops. It’s been a joke amongst my neighbors for years despite the big monopole next to the village highway garage. Life in the big city……or should I say small town struggles.

Jmbjr127

Correct. Mount Pleasant PD remains on the same frequency but is switched to P25. See the link below.
I haven't heard of the SMS100. Is that like some kind of Text Messaging upgrade? LOL. Anyway, Yes, I have my SDS200 listening to Mount Pleasant PD (And other P25 departments), and it's great.

Also, Pleasantville PD uses LTE, so when they do, you won't hear them. I get them on my SDRs using SDR Trunk, but only when they Affiliate to RF, which is not a lot of the time. They are on the Zone 2 and Zone 3 Simulcast. I think the LTE Network differs from Verizon, but I get like no signal, sometimes not even LTE, in the village around the firehouse and downtown near Manville and Bedford Roads. When I do get LTE, it's very, very slow.
Dobbs Ferry PD also relies on LTE heavily, so im surprised when I hear them.
Thanks guys for the great information. I’m realizing that being away from this technology for a little bit has shown me that I have a lot to learn. Especially the correct model number of the scanner that I’m purchasing! I recently ordered a couple SDR dongles and an antenna and am hoping to be up and running soon using that method. I’ve learned a lot from you guys already and am looking forward to learning more.

SCFDCOMM

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, and if this post is an issue Mods feel free to delete...

This is two completely separate systems joined via ISSI.
Metro-21 and the MRRS, where did the term Metro-25 come from.