Scanner Tales: My Programmable Bearcats from the 80’s

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I also had a Plectron receiver from my FD. My Dad had a couple Plectrons as well as he was on the Fire and Police Commission from the town we lived in
While not a scanner, those Plectron alerting receivers were top-notch. When opened up, you could see that they were a quality product and, in service, very reliable.

Back in the day, I was one of the first officers in a start-up county EMS service with multiple stations. Since the budget was tight, we ordered a number of Plectron receivers and an associated encoder for alerting our stations. Apparently, it was a good decision, since many more Plectron receivers were still in service nearly thirty years later when I retired, even though our primary radio system had morphed into a Motorola trunking system. Given the quality of their products, I always wondered why Plectron ultimately went out of business.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
At one point, I had 13 Plectron and Motorola single-channel monitors. 2-3 were UHF, and the rest of them were VHF. I still have 3 in service; One is a red MABAS mutual aid monitor that I can set off the tones, and then open the squelch. I had Mr. Wallace re-program the alert because it would wake up the dead until he minimized the alert tone!Plectrons - Portables 1.jpg