Need help with no reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK956

Keep at it.

Solutions will pop up.

Oh trust me I am. I have delved into all settings on my scanner from c-ch output to band intervals to threshold settings etc...

I think this is just a case of bad terrain interference that only a high mounted home antenna could conquer. Not a mobile antenna.

Finding another tower they use as a control channel is the only solution I think

OK956

I do not know who updates our frequency databases here on RR.

But 852.8875 can definitely be added as a control channel for Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop B and for the Tulsa County Sheriff Office channels to include their service side and tactical channel.

I also found it to receive Troop K very well from Muskogee as well as the Grand River Dam Authority.

Maybe that will help out some people north of Tulsa in receiving those agencies very clearly now.

slowmover

Oh trust me I am. I have delved into all settings on my scanner from c-ch output to band intervals to threshold settings etc...

I think this is just a case of bad terrain interference that only a high mounted home antenna could conquer. Not a mobile antenna.

Finding another tower they use as a control channel is the only solution I think

My truck = No Drill.

That just means it takes more effort, IMO.

Existing bolts are fair game (as example); so removing paint down to primer underneath isn’t any violation. Thinnest layer of an anti-corrosive, as remediation.

In this manner was able to run heavier power thru existing air-line firewall holes (marine cable gland as cushion).
Pos to BATT (fused) and Neg to Frame (existing bolt).

ANCOR 10/2 Duplex. 15A at 18’ with under 3% voltage drop. Encased in FR split loom and a run to the factory radio location. (Headroom)

Coax was in replacing the failed factory harness with RG8X.

Ferrite toroids applied across the board. A bandpass filter also (look into what may help).

In the manner above, the RF Bonds on doors, the cab & sleeper were also easy.

Were this Peterbilt a sedan or pickup, the hood and trunk/bed would be just easy. (The exhaust also via muffler clamps).

That antenna mount you have might benefit in same wise as mine from RF bonds. (Quiet).

Glad you’ve not stepped aside from it.

Ever hear of state prisoners finding weak points to exploit? Time & Attention, huh?

Another vehicle (yours, maybe a relative) could also serve as model. Make any mistakes on it.

I take it as given this isn’t a form of selfishness. The push I’m feeling is about readiness (for lack of a better term). Our shop has had no qualms about it. Only questions of interest.

I’m not about to run the roads without the best radio performance I can get.

There are others who fully understand this,
then there’s everyone else.

Same feeling might apply to your responsibilities.

There’s a green light out ahead.

OK956

My truck = No Drill.

That just means it takes more effort, IMO.

Existing bolts are fair game (as example); so removing paint down to primer underneath isn’t any violation. Thinnest layer of an anti-corrosive, as remediation.

In this manner was able to run heavier power thru existing air-line firewall holes (marine cable gland as cushion).
Pos to BATT (fused) and Neg to Frame (existing bolt).

ANCOR 10/2 Duplex. 15A at 18’ with under 3% voltage drop. Encased in FR split loom and a run to the factory radio location. (Headroom)

Coax was in replacing the failed factory harness with RG8X.

Ferrite toroids applied across the board. A bandpass filter also (look into what may help).

In the manner above, the RF Bonds on doors, the cab & sleeper were also easy.

Were this Peterbilt a sedan or pickup, the hood and trunk/bed would be just easy. (The exhaust also via muffler clamps).

That antenna mount you have might benefit in same wise as mine from RF bonds. (Quiet).

Glad you’ve not stepped aside from it.

Ever hear of state prisoners finding weak points to exploit? Time & Attention, huh?

Another vehicle (yours, maybe a relative) could also serve as model. Make any mistakes on it.

I take it as given this isn’t a form of selfishness. The push I’m feeling is about readiness (for lack of a better term). Our shop has had no qualms about it. Only questions of interest.

I’m not about to run the roads without the best radio performance I can get.

There are others who fully understand this,
then there’s everyone else.

Same feeling might apply to your responsibilities.

There’s a green light out ahead.

You guys run circles around me in a lot of this electrical installation talk. Lol

The furthest my knowledge in all this has taken me so far was I scraped the paint down to the primer in the areas the mount is secured to the trunk.

What I'd like to find out is the location of the Tulsa tower I'm having such trouble with. If I knew where it was then I might be able to determine what terrain feature is blocking the signal so badly in so many areas.

slowmover

You guys run circles around me in a lot of this electrical installation talk. Lol

The furthest my knowledge in all this has taken me so far was I scraped the paint down to the primer in the areas the mount is secured to the trunk.

What I'd like to find out is the location of the Tulsa tower I'm having such trouble with. If I knew where it was then I might be able to determine what terrain feature is blocking the signal so badly in so many areas.

Mobile Install: K0BG

Topographical map against locations of police, fire, water dept; those installations, etc. Especially current or former maintenance shops.

State installations. At area airports. (Flight path restrictions)

Top of downtown buildings used to be for broadcast AM. There’s a few suburban towers around Tulsa

TV towers almost always at highest point for a metro.

Cell tower maps online.

Pictures of type of antenna (shape).

Tulsa-metro good-sized, but there’ll still only be so many antenna towers, then office buildings.

OK956

Mobile Install: K0BG

Topographical map against locations of police, fire, water dept; those installations, etc. Especially current or former maintenance shops.

State installations. At area airports. (Flight path restrictions)

Top of downtown buildings used to be for broadcast AM. There’s a few suburban towers around Tulsa

TV towers almost always at highest point for a metro.

Cell tower maps online.

Pictures of type of antenna (shape).

Tulsa-metro good-sized, but there’ll still only be so many antenna towers, then office buildings.
Lots of good info there! Thanks!

And thanks to user Freqed, I may have found a solution. He said he has better luck monitoring Tulsa's old Motorola Type II system vs the P25.

I plugged in the numbers and so far while reception is more old school and no crystal clear, it does seem to at least not have so many dead zones. With the Project 25 it seems to be all or nothing. Either you receive or you don't. With the old system even when in bad areas it will still pull some transmission in. Though may have some static.

Glad to know it's not just me struggling to receive Tulsa PD if you're outside of their boundaries.

OK956

Thanks to member peterjmag, I've got the locations of the Tulsa towers for anyone along the way who may want to know.

William's tower, which is downtown Tulsa and 6100 S Sheridan. So basically South tulsa and west/north area of Tulsa.

And I'm guessing they have oriented their directional to minimize interference with the closely surrounding cities which would explain the difficulty in scanner reception.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.