need more memory - feature request to get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Add a feature:

IgnoreEncrypted:Yes/No

Why:

I like to run a WILDCARD (search) in all systems to always be on the alert for new talkgroups. However, for systems with ENCRYPTED TALKGROUPS, I have to store and lock them out so they don't keep popping up. This takes up memory.

I'd like to run a WILDCARD TG and set IgnoreEncrypted=Yes and have the radio just skip over these TGs without having to use the memory to store them.

troymail

Silent Key
So I'd still like to have it but.....

I just loaded radioID alpha tags for a single county's fire department - and it's not yet "complete". I had to remove about 10 other "systems" to make room for these labels. Win500 says I have "849 talkgroup (TGRP) objects in system: ..." - that's almost half of the available objects...

So, back to this -- I still need more memory. :p

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
The encryption thing does not bother me as I can just hit lockout and away it goes. If I really want it to be gone I just do a Func + Lockout and they are gone for good.

At this very moment, GRE has given us so much, and I almost feel bad for even asking for anything else, but your right. Memory(more room) is going to be essential. With being able to Alpha Tag the radio ID and the Talkgroup, it is going to take up a lot of memory. We simply are going to need more.

Again I hate to ask, but GRE....PLEASE just a bit more room? WHAT AN AWESOME SCANNER!!!!!! :)

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
maybe they can sacrifice half the v scanners to double the memory of each one, or something of the sort. thats what im hoping for

DonS

maybe they can sacrifice half the v scanners to double the memory of each one, or something of the sort. thats what im hoping for

Two different "memory areas" (V-Scanner vs. 'main memory'). Each V-Scanner contains an image of "main memory". When you load a V-Scanner folder, you're loading its contents into main memory. Doubling the size of each V-Scanner folder (while cutting the number of folders in half) would have no benefit, unless you also doubled the size of "main memory".

Think of it as a PC with 2 GB of RAM, with a hard drive that can hold twenty copies of that 2 GB RAM. Having a hard drive that can hold ten 4 GB copies is useless, unless you change the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB.

JoeyC

While I find the new RadioID feature way cool, I would LOVE to have extra memory in the scanner to import my .RID data from Unitrunker but I find the ability of the 500 to display the RadioID sporatic at best. I totally understand the radio not being able to update IDs as different radios key in and out before the talkgroup goes silent and the radio returns to the CC, but I am not even finding the scanner able to display radioIDs consistently even when parked on a TG that is not busy.
As an example, I've had the radio parked on 33600 (the county communication interop TG) in hopes to capture and program as Private objects the various department dispatcher IDs and I am getting at best, IDs 50% of the time, even when the TG stays silent for many minutes between calls.

I haven't heard too many complaints such as mine so I am wondering if one of those zillion Expert Settings can be tweaked to get a better response from the radio for this?

DonS

While I find the new RadioID feature way cool, I would LOVE to have extra memory in the scanner to import my .RID data from Unitrunker but I find the ability of the 500 to display the RadioID sporatic at best. I totally understand the radio not being able to update IDs as different radios key in and out before the talkgroup goes silent and the radio returns to the CC, but I am not even finding the scanner able to display radioIDs consistently even when parked on a TG that is not busy.
As an example, I've had the radio parked on 33600 (the county communication interop TG) in hopes to capture and program as Private objects the various department dispatcher IDs and I am getting at best, IDs 50% of the time, even when the TG stays silent for many minutes between calls.

I haven't heard too many complaints such as mine so I am wondering if one of those zillion Expert Settings can be tweaked to get a better response from the radio for this?
What type of system is this? If it's a Motorola 3600 system, have you looked at my recent post in the "CPU 1.4" thread?

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ok don, i think i get it. so they could do what i suggested, however the main memory wouldnt be able to support a v scanner that is doubled in size, correct?

DonS

ok don, i think i get it. so they could do what i suggested, however the main memory wouldnt be able to support a v scanner that is doubled in size, correct?

Correct.

The "main memory" (what the scanner is working with at any given time, and which includes all of the "GLOB" settings and your programmed objects) has a fixed size. It cannot be changed without modifying hardware and software.

Each V-Scanner "folder" contains a copy of this "main memory". Increasing the size of a V-Scanner folder won't do you any good, since you'd no longer be able to read a V-Scanner folder into main memory (it's now too big).

For those that use software to program the scanner, a V-Scanner folder should be considered the same as a "scanner file" on a PC. Sure, we could make those files as big as we want, but they'd no longer fit in the radio.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'd like the addition of the Ignore Encrypted TG's but asking for more memory because you tried to cram a ton of Radio ID's in your scanner is a little unrealistic. This was a later added feature and I don't think they anticipated doing this.

Memory is cheap but it always seems like it's expensive to add to scanners.

benca

Premium Subscriber
Radio memory

I'd love to see a scanner have the ability to have an SD type memory card (to store the majority of the programming) and internal memory for the actual system's that are being scanned...(similar to buffer memory in todays DSLR cameras and the memory card) lets face it I doubt many people scann 2500 channels or TGID's all the time...

I also like the idea of encrypt ignore Yes/No.

Status
Not open for further replies.