Need new scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ill41

I live in Joliet and they changed systems recently.What is the best scanner to buy and where.went out last Friday and could not buy one anywhere.tried 3 Radio Shacks and 2 CTC,any help would be appreciated.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I live in Joliet and they changed systems recently.What is the best scanner to buy and where.went out last Friday and could not buy one anywhere.tried 3 Radio Shacks and 2 CTC,any help would be appreciated.

Do you want a handheld or tabletop unit? You can get a pro-197 or pro-106 online which might also be cheaper yet.
They work very well with the starcom21 system. :)

n9zas

celsasser

Premium Subscriber
check Amazon

I used to get a lot of radio stuff locally at RS and other places, but they just don't have the selection and prices anymore. So this week I got a Uniden BCD996XT from Amazon for a very competitive price. Overnight shipping with my Prime membership was $3.99 and it was delivered in about 12 hrs after I ordered it (we live near Springfield). The no sales tax was a nice bonus, I used what I saved for an outside antenna. :)

Now having said that, there is a learning curve with the XT Unidens and you'd definately want to program them with software. But my 996XT is so sweet!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Joliet did not change systems they rebanded and changed freqys and must have the " Rebanding Tables " entered into a newer scanner...By possibly May1 Joliet will dismantle there present system and join STARCOM and go digital using the tower T113 and its satellite towers like Plainfield and Romeoville are now on....They will have three local sites still Provena Hospital, Downtown PD and PLFD South High School....Its gonna be a different ballgame and people will need a Digital scanner.....

ill41

need new scanner

Thank you for the replies.Ron,do you know anyplace locally where to buy a new scanner here in town?

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Most Radio Shacks here in town have or will order the RS106=H/H or i just bought a new RS197 base on south Larkin on sale....Uniden must be purchased on line or TX, i bought all mine from "Scanning USA, Michigan....or ScannerMaster, Mass and you need to make sure the Uniden 396XT=H/H or 996XT base has the latest firmware for Starcom good reception.....

Status
Not open for further replies.