Need radio repair help

Status
Not open for further replies.

raisindot

Sorry that this is not a scanner discussion, but it is a local discussion.

To the point: I have a JRC NRD 545 receiver that needs a little repair. I was using an 3/4" phono plug cable to send the signal from the headphone jack to my PC. The end of the cable broke, and now a bit of the 'connector end' (just the point at the end of the connector) is stuck and I can't get it out, despite trying with tweezers, screwdrivers, and other sharp objects. The upshot of this is that I can no longer use the jack with headphones. And I want to.

I'm looking for a local, MA based company or even a repair-savvy person in this forum with strong SW-surgical skills to extract this thing. It would probably take them less than 5 minutes. If any of you can do this or know of someone local (I'm in Natick) who can, please PM me. Thanks!

Suzie

N1BHH

I'm not sure if the 1/4 inch jack is an open or encased type. Open up the radio and look, if it is encased, you should be able to replace the jack, which will be pretty easy to do. If it's open, it's a piece of cake to get the plug out. I though the NRD's had a phono jack or two on the back.

raisindot

I'm not sure if the 1/4 inch jack is an open or encased type. Open up the radio and look, if it is encased, you should be able to replace the jack, which will be pretty easy to do. If it's open, it's a piece of cake to get the plug out. I though the NRD's had a phono jack or two on the back.

I tried opening it up. To get to it, I'd have to remove a whole bunch of circuit boards and it looks like the headphone jack (it's not a phono RCA jack--it's a 3/4 thing, like you'd use for microphone/guitar cables) is attached to some kinds of circuits. Any messing around by me would lead to the total ruining of the radio. Which is why I'm looking for help.

N1BHH

A headphone jack is a 1/4 inch jack, no such thing as a 3/4 inch. Some radios do have a 1/4 inch jack for an external speaker, usually on the back, I suspect that is what you have. A phono jack is different, aka RCA jack, is used usually for line level output for connecting to anything that accepts line level, like an stereo amplifier or computer. I don't know what else you can do but visually identify whether the jack is an enclosed type or an open type. Open types are easier to diagnose while the enclosed type I would just replace.

If you go to a repair facility, I don't know of any personally, since I try to fix it myself beforehand, have loads of cash because they will see you coming a mile away. It will cost you an arm and a leg and maybe a child or two if you aren't careful. ;)

raisindot

A headphone jack is a 1/4 inch jack, no such thing as a 3/4 inch. Some radios do have a 1/4 inch jack for an external speaker, usually on the back, I suspect that is what you have. A phono jack is different, aka RCA jack, is used usually for line level output for connecting to anything that accepts line level, like an stereo amplifier or computer. I don't know what else you can do but visually identify whether the jack is an enclosed type or an open type. Open types are easier to diagnose while the enclosed type I would just replace.

If you go to a repair facility, I don't know of any personally, since I try to fix it myself beforehand, have loads of cash because they will see you coming a mile away. It will cost you an arm and a leg and maybe a child or two if you aren't careful. ;)

It is a 1/4" jack. The same you would stick a guitar cable into. It's for headphones only, not for external speakers, like a RCA jack. Don't know if this helps at all.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You may be able to get this out yourself with a pair of needle tweezers and/or some surgical forceps.
Both of these items are easy to get at a medical supply outlet or...if you know anyone in the nursing field?
N9ZAS

Status
Not open for further replies.