Needing help Decoding a Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

simpilo

I know you like your PRO-2020. I like your PRO-2020. How audio is treated in a scanner from it's era before digital was in. They hadn't thought about that in the design. If you are handy with a soldering iron and schematics then mod it for a better audio frequency response. If not may I suggest ordering one or two of these. This is the sure way to do what you need to do without having to spend $300-$700. Drawback is you will have to be at the pc to listen. Not ergonomic for portability. There are ways to do it portable but takes some doing to make it work on a Android. Like making sure it will even work with 'on the go' adapters. Concentrate on PC use because it's easiest to get going.

LimaZulu

Are you using SPKR or TAPE OUT (check the attached picture)?
DSD wants to be feeded with raw, unfiltered audio to be able to decode.
Here you can find some info on how to modify a scanner to do so: https://www.discriminator.nl/ic/
Although there is no article about PRO-2020, it's there in the list and it's pointed that uses MC3357 chip and unfiltered audio can be taken from pin 9. If you have mid level soldering skills you can do it on your scanner by following one of these articles that are for other radios using the same MC3357 chip:

So, feeding DSD trough standard speaker out, won't give you any results and is highly recomended to do this modification to your scanner if you want to use it. If you can't do it, I'm sure that you have some friend hw can do it for you. You need resistor, short cable and standart 3,5 mm female port (and one beer if you give the job to someone else). So, for no more than 2 bucks you will enjoy decoding digital audio, using your analog scanner :) I did this mod to my Icom IC-R5 and it works like a charm for many years and it's stil going :)

Attachments

• realistic_pro2020_back.jpg
    realistic_pro2020_back.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
Hey, i'm back, and i've done some research on RTL-SDRs, and i'm thinking of going with this one. Ebay Link - Click here to view product . But I have a few questions

1. What software would I need?
2. Would this in fact be able to decode my system? We are trunked, as we have multiple 'channels' on one frequency.
3. Could I monitor our MPSCS with this?

Thanks,

NVanW27

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Hey, i'm back, and i've done some research on RTL-SDRs, and i'm thinking of going with this one. Ebay Link - Click here to view product . But I have a few questions

1. What software would I need?
2. Would this in fact be able to decode my system? We are trunked, as we have multiple 'channels' on one frequency.
3. Could I monitor our MPSCS with this?

Thanks,

NVanW27
You might consider this one instead due to the more stable TCXO in it: NESDR SMArt - Premium RTL-SDR Set w/ 0.5PPM TCXO, Aluminum, SMA. R820T2 RTL2832U 616469145857 | eBay

I use 4 of these dongles with DSDPlus to monitor 4 different trunk systems at once. The latest Fast Lane version has a single receiver mode that will let you follow/trunk-track a system with only one dongle.

MPSCS is P25 and you can monitor anything that isn't encrypted. I use mine on the PA and OH state systems just fine.

slicerwizard

i've done some research on RTL-SDRs, and i'm thinking of going with this one. Ebay Link - Click here to view product .
I would stay away from that. I uses crappy MCX RF connectors. They're prone to wearing out and are incompatible with any antennas you may currently own or acquire in the future. And as already noted, it has a terrible clock oscillator.

Status
Not open for further replies.