BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Needing Some Help Organizing my System, Site, and Group Number Tags/Quick Keys

kagey427

Premium Subscriber
I have the Uniden BCD325P2 handheld scanner. It has the latest firmware update. I am using the Butel ARC-XT programming software to try to program my scanner. I have been using the RR button on the toolbar of the ARC-XT program to select and organize my frequencies. My local county has what I consider to be a large regional trunking system that encompasses at least 6 other counties besides the one I live in and want to primarily monitor. My county itself has several talkgroups that I also want to monitor; 19 TGIDs to be precise. This post is going to be a little long, as I have a few questions about Number tags/Quick keys.

Let me lay out my organization of the scanner. The 1st system is [CountyName]RegionRadio1 [Q1], Site - [CountyName]PubSafety [Q1], then there are 19 TGIDs have listed to listen to. I then have a 2nd system as follows, which encompass surrounding counties to mine, but are on my county's regional radio system: [CountyName]RegionRadio2 [Q2] (this system name is the same as the first, but with the number 2), Site - [CountyName]PubSafety [Q1], with 3 TGIDs, and, Site - [CountyName]PubSafety [Q2], with 6 TGIDs. These are the first ones I have programmed, and I intend to add others.

Now, my questions are these:

#1. are number tags and quick keys the same thing, and if not, why not?

#2. Once the selected data from the RR link in ARC-XT software is imported, the quick key selection field only allows10 (0) in the ARC-XT software. The manuals say that I can program 20 groups per system. When I exceed 10 groups, how do I add 11-20 Quick key numbers, and, how do I get to see them/make them show up in my Group line display of my scanner?

#3. When I use up the first 10 system slots on the scanner, how do I get to the next 10 system slots, and so on?

I appreciate any help that folks can give my on this. I have scratched my head about these items, until my hair has about fallen out!! :D Thanks much!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Their functions are described in the user manual & easier to read manual sections linked below. In a nutshell QKs are assigned at system, site & group levels & number tags at the system & channel levels
Understanding Quick Keys
Using Number Tags

I haven't used Arc-XT in about a decade or more so hopefully someone else well versed with the app can answer #2 and/or #3

kagey427

Premium Subscriber
Their functions are described in the user manual & easier to read manual sections linked below. In a nutshell QKs are assigned at system, site & group levels & number tags at the system & channel levels
Understanding Quick Keys
Using Number Tags

I haven't used Arc-XT in about a decade or more so hopefully someone else well versed with the app can answer #2 and/or #3
Thanks very much Whiskey3JMC. I appreciate it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
This post is going to be a little long, as I have a few questions about Number tags/Quick keys.
I use ARC-XT all of the time. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys.:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 25

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
#1. are number tags and quick keys the same thing, and if not, why not? Number Tags are "addresses" allowing you to jump to a specific channel. Quick Keys are used to turn things on or off.

#2. Once the selected data from the RR link in ARC-XT software is imported, the quick key selection field only allows10 (0) in the ARC-XT software. The manuals say that I can program 20 groups per system. When I exceed 10 groups, how do I add 11-20 Quick key numbers, and, how do I get to see them/make them show up in my Group line display of my scanner? It's a Uniden "fluke" for that model line. You gotta double up on Quick Keys for groups. Later models (as in x36 and SDS) do not have this predicament.

#3. When I use up the first 10 system slots on the scanner, how do I get to the next 10 system slots, and so on? Not sure what you mean here.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
#2. Once the selected data from the RR link in ARC-XT software is imported, the quick key selection field only allows10 (0) in the ARC-XT software. The manuals say that I can program 20 groups per system. When I exceed 10 groups, how do I add 11-20 Quick key numbers, and, how do I get to see them/make them show up in my Group line display of my scanner?
You only have the ten group quick keys to use, Yes, you can have up to 20 groups, but if you do, either you'll have to have 2 (or more) using the same quick key, or some without a quick key.

#3. When I use up the first 10 system slots on the scanner, how do I get to the next 10 system slots, and so on?
Remember that what you are calling "systems" are really the groups within a system. And as noted above, you only can have 20 groups, so either some of the group keys (0 to 9) will have to share the same quick key, or be entered without a group quick key. For systems and sites, you can utilize quick keys of 0 to 99.

I have the Uniden BCD325P2 handheld scanner. It has the latest firmware update. I am using the Butel ARC-XT programming software to try to program my scanner. I have been using the RR button on the toolbar of the ARC-XT program to select and organize my frequencies. My local county has what I consider to be a large regional trunking system that encompasses at least 6 other counties besides the one I live in and want to primarily monitor. My county itself has several talkgroups that I also want to monitor; 19 TGIDs to be precise. This post is going to be a little long, as I have a few questions about Number tags/Quick keys.

Let me lay out my organization of the scanner. The 1st system is [CountyName]RegionRadio1 [Q1], Site - [CountyName]PubSafety [Q1], then there are 19 TGIDs have listed to listen to. I then have a 2nd system as follows, which encompass surrounding counties to mine, but are on my county's regional radio system: [CountyName]RegionRadio2 [Q2] (this system name is the same as the first, but with the number 2), Site - [CountyName]PubSafety [Q1], with 3 TGIDs, and, Site - [CountyName]PubSafety [Q2], with 6 TGIDs. These are the first ones I have programmed, and I intend to add others.
Is this the system you are trying to program?

For some of the counties, or cities, just about all of the law enforcement & fire talkgroups are tagged as encrypted, If the talkgroup has a capital E, such as DE, or TE, that indicates full time encryption, so you likely will not hear anything understandable. Im most cases, if the scanner recognizes the transmission as encrypted, it will not stay on that talkgroup. It might pause for a fraction of a second, before noticing encryption, but then it will move on. A lower case e, as in De or Te under Mode indicates part time encryption, so you may be able to hear at least some of the radio traffic.

For what you are wanting to do, I would suggest that you program each county as a system, with the site in that county, and the groups representing the county or city departments that use that site. That way, you maintain the ability to utilize the group quick keys, since it does not appear that you would have more than ten groups for any one county. You can toggle any of the counties on, or off in the scan rotation using the site quick key, I know this is a regional system, all the member counties sharing it, but by splitting it out to a system (and related site) for each individual county, you can better control which ones are active, and turn each individual county on or off without affecting the other counties.

Looking at that system, each of the sites (except the Intellirepeater for the jail) is simulcast. That can be a problem for any scanner other than the SDS series units. See this Wiki page for more on Simulcast. The sites farther away from you might not be much of an issue, but the closest one, likely Cobb, based on your city, could be. Simulcast problems are extremely location drive, You might find that moving your scanner to slightly different positions in the house, you may find a 'sweet spot' where things work better. (You would not have that option if using an external antenna, mounted at or above the roof line.

kagey427

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all who responded!! I appreciate it very much! I was able to figure out what I needed to do, thanks to all who sent information my way. I also got theARC-XT programming program figured out enough to get some frequencies into my scanner. As I have time, I'm adding additional radio groups to listen to. Sure is fun!! thanks again!

mmonroe08

JD308

Now, my questions are these:

I appreciate any help that folks can give my on this. I have scratched my head about these items, until my hair has about fallen out!! :D Thanks much!
I program my systems to quick keys and then add groups within those systems. For example key 1 is my home system. I have 3 groups enabled within that system. Group 1 is police, grp 2 Fire-ems, and group 3 is my miscellaneous frequencies. To enable or disable them hit function while scanning that system, then the number which corresponds to the group. Function+1 to enable or disable police, function+2 fire-EMS. Also to enable or disable two digit systems you must press .NO then the two digit system. So for quick key 10 you would press .NO + 1 + 0 . I know it sounds confusing but once you get it set up and get the hang of it, operating this unit will be like second nature to you. I hope this helps.

rbluesky

HI TRY YOUTUBE the errod1944 show on how to program the bcd996p2 He has Excellent videos ! watch them all !

mmonroe08

JD308
Thanks to all who responded!! I appreciate it very much! I was able to figure out what I needed to do, thanks to all who sent information my way. I also got theARC-XT programming program figured out enough to get some frequencies into my scanner. As I have time, I'm adding additional radio groups to listen to. Sure is fun!! thanks again!
You ever need any help with programming don't hesitate to ask for help. We're all here invested in this hobby.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you want to monitor Paulding County, you will need the DMR upgrade. Bartow and Cherokee County Law Enforcement and Fire/EMS are fully encrypted on the trunked system and cannot be monitored by any scanner.

Last edited: