New Amatuer KD9AWH needs a radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

Sorry to show you this: (pay special attention to the lower right corner). I don't own one of these radios so I don't know for sure what is under the battery compartment.

http://www.cqdx.ru/ham/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/knwd.png

You're correct, my TH-K20A was also made in China. However as Moonboots pointed out it's about manufacturer specs. iPhones are made in China but you better believe that Apple has stringent quality specs for their products. From what I've seen and read, the cheap Chinese radios do not have the same quality control as a Kenwood.

Also, technical support for Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom are very well established and generally good when dealing with radios that are under warranty. But to each their own, if all someone can afford is a cheap China radio then by all means get one and get on the air. Just don't expect a $30 radio to perform as well as a name brand radio.

05WideGuy

Premium Subscriber
Just about everyone in my club has an FT-60, For $150 you can't go wrong, just put a better antenna on it .

stevolene

gotta give props to the FT60, bought mine used about 12 years ago, still works,great, easy to program without using any software, You really do get what you pay for, when Yaesu introduced the VX series radios they kinda got a little to giggity IMO............. you could always go crazy and get a dstar HT, talking worldwide on 5 watts is pretty cool

Status
Not open for further replies.