new and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebull388

I am looking to get a scanner and mount it in my truck. I need help in picking one that i can listen to fire police etc in my area. I live in Fulton County Georgia. Can any one help me with this? and what is a trunking system?
I have been recommended the Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Scanner what are your thoughts on this and will it work?

captclint

Mentor
I am looking to get a scanner and mount it in my truck. I need help in picking one that i can listen to fire police etc in my area. I live in Fulton County Georgia. Can any one help me with this? and what is a trunking system?
I have been recommended the Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Scanner what are your thoughts on this and will it work?
Welcome to RR. BC15X would be a good choice except that Atlanta Public Safety (Project 25) is digital. If you wanted to receive that system, you would need either BCD996XT or PSR-600 Both run around $500. Otherwise, the BCT15X will receive Fulton County Trunk System and all the other things in Fulton County

Last edited:

N8IAA

I am looking to get a scanner and mount it in my truck. I need help in picking one that i can listen to fire police etc in my area. I live in Fulton County Georgia. Can any one help me with this? and what is a trunking system?I have been recommended the Uniden Bearcat BCT15X Scanner what are your thoughts on this and will it work?

If you are going to monitor only Fulton County, an analog TT'ing scanner will do the job ( I would suggest the RS Pro-163 as it is easier to understand and use). But, when you want to listen to ATL, De Kalb, Forsyth, Gwinnett FD, Hall FD, and any of the others that might be changing to digital, P-25, you'll need to get either the radio shack Pro-197, GRE PSR-600, or the Uniden 996xt. There is help in the Georgia Forum when you make your decision:)
HTH,
Larry

thebull388

Ok, thanks for the quick responses! i would like to listen to the digital systems as well. It looks like the Unidin 996xt is a popular choice. This scanner will cover just about everything out there that i would be able to listen to?

N8IAA

Ok, thanks for the quick responses! i would like to listen to the digital systems as well. It looks like the Unidin 996xt is a popular choice. This scanner will cover just about everything out there that i would be able to listen to?

It will. Make sure that you download FreeScan to program the scanner. The link is as follows: ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN!

Make sure that you visit the Georgia Forum for any help in getting that beast programmed:) Lots of us in the Metro Atlanta area willing to give up some knowledge.
Larry

Last edited:

thebull388

I am looking to get a antenna for my truck. i will be getting the uniden 996xt and i would be monitoring the police and fire in the state. What antenna will work the best in these frequencies? I would like the antenna to be a magnet mount

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are just trying to receive things that are fairly local to your current position, antenna isn't extremely critical ("any wire in the air"). If you are trying to receive weak signals on a specific band, then you'd need a band-specific antenna.

I use a short magnet mount VHF/UHF antenna on my trunk lid and it does more than fine in the DFW area on all bands (including 800 MHz which is primarily what I monitor), but I use GPS to limit attempted reception to the immediate jurisdiction(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.