• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Dual band tier 1 and 2 DMR TYT handheld MD-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
A new programming cable will also be needed, as the MD 2017 has a "Motorola" type plug.
the are normaly come with the Radio and if not the cost 5€ from Mr. China.

I hope the Radio have the Feature for an Speaker Mice to switch the Channels and Volume control like:
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...r-microphones/pmmn4046a.html#tabaccessoryinfo
My Radio is an a Pouch on my Backpack so Switching a Channel need I have to put it down switch the Channel on put my Backpack up that sucks....

Does this Radio Support Data Transmission between 2 Laptops now?
I have the huge Problem that I need just 2 Radios who get connetet to 2 Device who must work offline.

Last night I found a webpage suggesting that price fixing is taking place between TYT and radio dealers in the UK but probably in the US too, since the prices are given in dollars and are similar in the US retailers selling it.
Here is a post I wrote about it: https://goo.gl/ETQBWU

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of everyone else on this forum. Is this practice illegal? It doesn't seem fair to me and certainly isn't a free market when TYT forces a minimum price upon dealers.

Well if local laws prohibit this practise then dealers who agree to fix prices could be forced not to. Which would mean we could all get the radio for a decent price instead of paying uncompetitive prices.

cinsu

I'll gladly pay anything less than batwing price for a comparable product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troffasky

Well if local laws prohibit this practise then dealers who agree to fix prices could be forced not to. Which would mean we could all get the radio for a decent price instead of paying uncompetitive prices.

First off, TYT are untouchable because they're in China. It's enough work buying something from China, never mind trying to convince the Chinese authorities that a Chinese company is doing something wrong.

If the MD2017 does well, it will be cloned by other manufacturers. Other dual-band HTs will be along before long and TYT's policy will crumble or they will drop their prices.

It's not illegal to appoint a single distributor in the UK [as TYTs market share is below 30%], but imposition of a minimum price is:

Distribution Agreements and UK / EC Competition Law - Cripps

Similar advice in USA:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...ws/dealings-supply-chain/manufacturer-imposed

Good luck with any legal action. Your best hope is to send one of the above URLs to the participants and hope it scares them in to changing their minds.

Your_account

Banned
Does anyone know if its hackable or not to get the features of the MD-380?

Too soon to tell... Hopefully Travis will be working on this unit soon and get us going in the right direction!

Your_account

Banned
it is interesting what kind of chips the use in the Radio and on the MD-380.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Just got off the phone with a dealer who I won't mention. The 2017 is definitely dual band. The interesting thing he told me was he is pretty sure that the MD 9600 is going to be dual band as well.

I noticed the price jump hugely and he said he thinks its because its going from a single band to a dual band. He seems to think they are initially going release it as single band then release a dual band model although price wise I don't know why they'd jump the price $120.00 on just the single band.

His reasoning seemed to be the new price would be for the dual band when it was released which would mean anyone buying the single band would be charged the dual band price which doesn't make sense.

Unless of course its firmware upgradable to dual band.

Will be watching to see what happens. They also said it would have MDC-1200 which is good. I love the CSI products but the small screen on the mobiles is a problem for me. He also said they'd have lots of contacts since the 2017 already allowed for 10,000, the 9600 would have more.

Hopefully the modified firmware/software will be available for these radios as well.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Just found this clip on the companion to the 2017.

Shows 9600 as definitely being dual band. Shows both bands in display. Transmits on UHF at first then about the 18 second mark shows switching to the VHF freq on the display and transmitting on that. So it looks like it will be dual band like the 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axtxVweAwEQ

Attachments

• 9600-1.jpg
    9600-1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,230

Room4Me

They are available in the US. Have not had my hand on one but a close DMR buddy got his. They are not dual band, but dual receive, first active band captures the radio.

They do not share accessories with other TYT radios. The chargers are not the same as the MD380-390 units.

They are a very MOTOTRBO like radio. My friend is a long time MTOTRBO user and likes the way it's set up.

Room4Me

DMR was not designed for data. You CAN send small messaged over DMR, much like SMS or in some cases geolocation information. Messages are typically "pre-written" and stored in the radio. It was really designed for commercial voice communications, so that feature is very minor. If you're wanting to send data, there are other formats more suitable for data.

The MD-2017 can transmit on either band. The MD-380 and 390 come in either VHF or UHF mono band radios.

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Will be watching to see what happens. They also said it would have MDC-1200 which is good. I love the CSI products but the small screen on the mobiles is a problem for me. He also said they'd have lots of contacts since the 2017 already allowed for 10,000, the 9600 would have more.

Hopefully the modified firmware/software will be available for these radios as well.

I just picked up an MD-2017 on Saturday.

A few points to clarify:

It's definitely dual band, but it's a little quirky. When monitoring two frequencies (or bands) it will set your transmit frequency to the last active frequency (or band). The only way I can prevent this is to mute the other band - which sort of defeats the purpose of a dual band radio. As an example, if I'm monitoring local L/E on one band (obviously programmed as a receive only frequency) and an amateur radio frequency on the other, if the local PD was active last and I press the PTT, I'll get an error beep because the radio will attempt to transmit on the RX-only frequency. I have to manually select the other band and THEN press the PTT key. I don't care for this at all, but it is what it is...

Also, the two most recent versions of the firmware for the MD-2017 allow for 100,000 contacts. You lose the ability to record audio, but since there's no SD card slot for storing the audio and no way to export the audio to another device, the recording function IMHO is useless.

As far as I can tell, there is no MDC-1200 functionality (encode or decode) in the MD-2017. I'm hoping this is added in a future firmware update.

The trackball on the radio sucks. It's got a hair trigger and way too easy to change frequencies or bands. Thankfully, in the later firmware, there's a way to lock it to prevent accidental changes. Unlocking it requires a couple of key presses. I'm hoping they'll adopt a four way rocker, like on the XTS5000's.

On a side note, the charging cradle (right out of the box) was defective. Luckily, I was able to find the cold solder joint and fix the problem. Also, there is obvious dust inside my display (between the plastic bezel and the LCD panel). These two things don't say much for TYT's quality control. This is my first TYT radio, so time will tell...

Your_account

Banned
Hi
I have an MD-390 and the Quality of this radio is good.
I hope the 2017 also get hacked and allow to use the other features to.
I want VHF to for Ship freq.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The service tech at R&L Electronics called me yesterday and said he'd spent more time than it was worth on my returned MD-2017. They shipped out a new one yesterday afternoon.

However, I did advise him that there was a bug in the import function of the software (since corrected) that inadvertently enabled DCDM in the import table when "converting" an existing MD-380 code plug, although every Channel's compiled record left the DCDM option greyed out (meaning not enabled).

The side affect of this bug was that more often than not the radio would fail to 'connect' with the local repeater(s), IOW one got "bonked", which is the reason I returned the original one to begin with!

So, it is entirely possible that the returned radio is not defective after all.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hello,
How does the radio work as a dedicated receiver? Will it scan VHF and UHF at the same time? In scanner terms, 2 banks of 10 channels each VHF/UHF?

Looking to consolidate all my DMR on one radio and not scanners.

Dave

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
How does the radio work as a dedicated receiver? Will it scan VHF and UHF at the same time? In scanner terms, 2 banks of 10 channels each VHF/UHF?

Looking to consolidate all my DMR on one radio and not scanners.

Dave

Well, you can build your scan list(s) any way you want, to include both UHF and VHF DMR talk groups or analog frequencies. Both bands have a max of 32 entries each.

You can have as many Scan Lists as you want.

Frankly speaking though, I'd not recommend it as a "scanner" as that's not its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.