"NEW" Icon

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Hope this is the right forum.

I am now seeing the "NEW" icon on posts. How is this triggered? If it triggers when someone just views it, then it's a little misleading. When I check some of the posts I see that some are many years old. Could this be changed to when a new post is actually added to the original post?

Thanks!

John

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It indicates a new unread post in a thread, viewing the thread removes the icon. Kind of redundant since if there was no new post it wouldn't be moved to the top of the pile.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
It seems to be threads that have new posts, which haven't been read by you.

belvdr

It indicates a new unread post in a thread, viewing the thread removes the icon. Kind of redundant since if there was no new post it wouldn't be moved to the top of the pile.
I think the threads are sorted by last post date. Thus, you could have a thread with no "new" posts above a thread with "new" posts.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I think the threads are sorted by last post date. Thus, you could have a thread with no "new" posts above a thread with "new" posts.
Depends how you set it, I guess, all the top of the pile posts on my computer are most recent though I do not remember where I set the sort at.

belvdr

Depends how you set it, I guess, all the top of the pile posts on my computer are most recent though I do not remember where I set the sort at.
Each time I enter a forum, it defaults to sorting by Last Message in descending order (latest first). You can see that in the Filters button in the top right of a forum.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I was the one who asked Lindsay to implement this feature. It's not redundant, but rather it comes in handy when viewing your Watched Threads listing with the dark theme on a mobile. It's not always easy to distinguish the bold thread title font that indicates unread posts in a thread, so the NEW icon makes it more obvious.

Use the Mark forums read feature to "reset" the entire forum. From that point on, only threads that have posts unread by you will display the NEW icon.

belvdr

FWIW, I use the "New Posts" feature to keep up to date:

The only downside is you can't filter it; it shows you everything across the entire forum.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I was the one who asked Lindsay to implement this feature. It's not redundant, but rather it comes in handy when viewing your Watched Threads listing with the dark theme on a mobile. It's not always easy to distinguish the bold thread title font that indicates unread posts in a thread, so the NEW icon makes it more obvious.

Use the Mark forums read feature to "reset" the entire forum. From that point on, only threads that have posts unread by you will display the NEW icon.
But people will probably still blame me.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@Jphila20 Not sure why it isn't working for you but when I chose a random thread marked new
Screenshot 2023-03-27 11.49.31.png
Opened and scrolled through posts to the end

Screenshot 2023-03-27 11.49.49.png
And exited out, it cleared the new for me

Screenshot 2023-03-27 11.50.02.png

Jphila20

Retired LE. Honor our Fallen.
Premium Subscriber
Found the issue on the "New" not disappearing. You have to hit forum folder at the top. If you just do the back arrow it doesn't go away.

Thanks!

belvdr

Found the issue on the "New" not disappearing. You have to hit forum folder at the top. If you just do the back arrow it doesn't go away.

Thanks!
The back arrow on a web browser does not cause a page to reload from the server. That behavior is consistent across all sites and browsers.