New LAPD Radio System?

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Using the new APX HT they will accomplish both RF & Cellular.

If the air unit Flys to San Diego, they would be off cellular / first net. The officers don't realize the switching, they know the radio works anywhere AT&T has coverage.

Very cool system. NYPD will have the same system.

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
lol.... Don't believe it until it comes from the Horses Mouth.... And I am the "Horse" with a mouth....

Eventually, there will be the use of WAVE. It is NOT UP and HAS NOT BEEN TESTED. That will be linked to the Trunking system, which IS NOT IN USE YET....

Don't believe everything you hear.....

The article linked above refers to the use of "FIRSTNET" Cell Phones... We switched from Sprint to ATT/Firstnet for Cell Phones and Cell Service...

Engine104

Member since 2005
Any idea when the new LAPD trunked system will be in use? (I'm guessing not for a few years?) Will it be encrypted? LAFD as well as LAPD?
Thanks and 73
-Larry (KG6EJT)

TJX400

WAVE, or SmartConnect?
WAVE links / patches a channel into the WAVE network, which is only accessible via the cell phone app.
SmartConnect uses cellular to connect a capable radio (newer APXs) back into a P25 system when out of range, without a cell phone.
If they're planning on going to the NEXT series, I'd imagine they're considering SmartConnect over WAVE. I'm not from the area and have no background in how LA works, so this is pure speculation. But it would make more sense in my mind for them to deploy SmartConnect over WAVE.

Could be moto apx next. I know up here SO got the new apx next raidos and waiting for lte on the back end of the system. It will only be used in areas p25 system doesn't cover.

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
Its funny how people do not read answers:
"Eventually, there will be the use of WAVE. It is NOT UP and HAS NOT BEEN TESTED. That will be linked to the Trunking system, which IS NOT IN USE YET...."

So their will be "Motorola WAVE" Capabilities. Again, it is not in use and has not even been tested. The discussion of "Smartconnect" has not been explored yet as their are other priorities. The System (Which is listed in the Database - Not submitted by me) is NOT IN USE YET! When and how it will be in use, is not a discussion for this forum. If you have a scanner and are monitoring, then as soon as you hear activity, you will know...

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Its funny how people do not read answers:

I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, to see someone with actual knowledge post about the situation, only to be contradicted by rampant speculation and wild guesses, qualified of course with "I believe...".

Now it's time to cue the "full, end-to-end Encryption" speculation, ramblings and rantings :p