New look, numbering planned for license plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Not really radio related, but I thought it was interesting enough to post here:

New look, numbering planned for license plates
Design options for Indiana's new standard license plate all have a state flag theme and a spot for new stickers identifying the car's home county as the Bureau of Motor Vehicles looks to drop its decades-old numbering system.

The public can begin voting Tuesday for its pick among four designs for the plates that will be distributed to motorists next year. The new plates will replace those issued in 2003 that are green-blue pastel with a farm landscape.

The four designs include two with close-ups on portions of the state flag's torch and stars and another with the state seal to one side and a state flag image in the background.

BMV Commissioner Ron Stiver said Monday the four finalists were picked from more than 40 proposals submitted by colleges, design agencies and state departments.

Voting on the new designs will be conducted on the BMV's Web site and at license branches through April 18, with the winning plate announced next month. More than 150,000 votes were cast in 2002 to select the current plate design.

"These all relate to Indiana, whether it is the torch or the seal, that seems to be a strong tie to Indiana's tradition or heritage," Stiver said of the four new designs.

A change in the plates' numbering system is planned by the BMV as part of the redesign. The agency intends to scrap the one- or two-digit code at the beginning of the plate number identifying the county where the vehicle was registered.

Adopting a new code of six numbers and letters could allow the BMV to stop stocking plates for all 92 counties at each branch around the state and make it easier for auto dealers and others begin issuing vehicle tags, Stiver said.

"It enables us to more widely offer services at these various partners, and it saves up to about $1 million a year in reduced inventory costs," he said.

The Indiana House, however, approved a bill last week containing a provision that would require the BMV to keep the county codes on the plates.

A letter from State Police Superintendent Paul Whitesell and the directors of the state sheriffs and police chiefs associations said they were confident the BMV's numbering change would not hamper law enforcement work.

But state Rep. Thomas Saunders, who proposed legislation to keep the county codes, said he was concerned that the new stickers would be covered by license plate frames and make it more difficult for police and eyewitnesses to quickly identify plate numbers.

"When you talk to the rank-and-file road officer, they really like to be able to look at the first one or two numbers and be able to tell what county the vehicle is from," said Saunders, R-Lewisville.

Truck plates and the more than 60 specialty tags offered by the BMV have not before included any county identification, but small county ID stickers have been added to new specialty plates this year, agency spokesman Greg Cook said.

As car specialty plates have proliferated since the mid-1990s, the BMV reports that the 5.4 million standard plates now on the road cover just about 40 percent of those issued for Indiana vehicles.

Saunders said he was not seeking a redesign on the specialty or truck plates to accommodate the county codes.

"I understand they are trying to extend places where people can get their plates," Saunders said, "but I think we can work around this."

retroactiv

I think it's time for a change, but I don't agree with changing the numbering... and putting that stupid little county bar at the top... They say it's because they are using kioks (spelling) but the booths are going to print the county on the plate along with the numbering, why couldn't they just print my plate at 84X999 insted of 2943434 for example seems just as easy.

jwheatley

Just thought that I would throw my two cents in here.

Personally, I don't care for our current plate, but at the same time, I really don't care for having new plates every 4 years or so.

I really hate the idea of the format changing. Its so much better to use 34X9999 then the new 999XXX. Oh well, at least there will still be a way to tell where someone is from on their plates with the county number and/or county actually on the plate at the top.

I always have liked being able to tell where someone was from by the county prefix on the plates.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
They're even putting the county number stickers on the amateur plates this time.

So much for being somewhat anonymous.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
jwheatley said:
Just thought that I would throw my two cents in here.

Personally, I don't care for our current plate, but at the same time, I really don't care for having new plates every 4 years or so.

I really hate the idea of the format changing. Its so much better to use 34X9999 then the new 999XXX. Oh well, at least there will still be a way to tell where someone is from on their plates with the county number and/or county actually on the plate at the top.

I always have liked being able to tell where someone was from by the county prefix on the plates.

I agree with this..it would suck to see the county numbering system go. I always like hearing it on my scanner, you know where the plate is from.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Not to mention those cool alpha tags on SAFE-T radios!!!

Go-24

Anything but that "in god we trust" - not sure how the heck they got by with that one! I guess seperation of church and state has long been forgotten!

I think they need to have another design competition, I think all four of the proposed plates suck!

I also like the older naming style the county prefix IMO is a much better system. That county name bar at top is going to end up being blocked to some degree by people who use plate holders.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Relax....

Go-24,

No one is forcing you to get that plate. And I don't see the "In God we trust" plate establishing any kind of state church. while your worrying about getting rid of that license plate, you should probably throw away all you cash too(look on the back).

jeff s.

z96cobra

Go-24 said:
Anything but that "in god we trust" - not sure how the heck they got by with that one! I guess seperation of church and state has long been forgotten!

There is no such thing as "Separation of Church and State". The Constitution only says that government cannot establish a religion (paraphrasing). The "In God We Trust" is just another "vanity" plate, just like all of the school plates, amateur radio plates (I'm KC9JGG), and the IVFA (Indiana Vol. Firefighters Assoc., of which I'm a member). You are not forced to take the plate or endorse what it says/stands for.

Roger

Go-24

z96cobra said:
You are not forced to take the plate or endorse what it says/stands for.

Well some would argue that the plate does establish a church as it comes across as an endorsement of one god as such its a slap in the face of other ethnic groups. That and others are forced to have to look at it every day - Indiana - In God We Trust - it doesnt say John Doe - In God "I" trust.

And I don't agree with it being on money either!

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
CAN SOMEONE JUST DELETE THIS FORUM BEFORE IT BECOMES A HEATED USELESS WAY OFF SUBJECT THREAD. I BELIEVE THE TOPIC OF THE THREAD WAS ABOUT THE NEW PLATES NOT A USELESS COMMENT ABOUT CURRENT PLATES. WHY WASTE YOUR TIME POSTING USELESS COMMENTS THAT IS YOUR OPINION AND SHOULD BE KEPT TO YOURSELF.

Go-24 said:
Well some would argue that the plate does establish a church as it comes across as an endorsement of one god as such its a slap in the face of other ethnic groups. That and others are forced to have to look at it every day - Indiana - In God We Trust - it doesnt say John Doe - In God "I" trust.

And I don't agree with it being on money either!

daleduke17

Why is it a big deal about having county codes on the plates? Look at Illinois, there's no codes that say what county the plate is registered to. There's also at least five or six different numbering schemes on IL roads (along with about 30 different plate styles).

Let me as this: If I lived in, say, Lafayette and moved to Evansville, would I have to get new plates since the county code would be incorrect on my plates?

usswood

daleduke17 said:
Why is it a big deal about having county codes on the plates? Look at Illinois, there's no codes that say what county the plate is registered to. There's also at least five or six different numbering schemes on IL roads (along with about 30 different plate styles).

Let me as this: If I lived in, say, Lafayette and moved to Evansville, would I have to get new plates since the county code would be incorrect on my plates?

People in Indiana have become use to being able to easily identify out-of-town drivers, only the new way will test peoples eye sight if they really want to know where u are from...I believe where the state is coming from is the fact law enforcement targets out-of-town drivers more and always writes a ticket for the simple fact the person will pay it instead of coming back and fighting it...this way at least law enforcement can't easily target drivers with a different prefix then the county they live/work in....

On a different note they use the same style of plates in Georgia...my sisters plate has her home county on the top of the plate in big letters :) COBB

daleduke17

Thanks, usswood. I think Iowa does the same thing as Georgia. When I was up there in October there was plenty of plates with denotations of "Scott" on them.

Go-24

usswood said:
I believe where the state is coming from is the fact law enforcement targets out-of-town drivers more and always writes a ticket for the simple fact the person will pay it instead of coming back and fighting it...this way at least law enforcement can't easily target drivers with a different prefix then the county they live/work in....

Instead of a county code prefix, the new plates are going to spell out the county at the top of the plate - doesnt really solve anything with regards to the concept of targeting out of towners.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
New plate to be Navy blue; design chosen based on online vote

http://www2.indystar.com/articles/5/250605-3845-127.html

Indiana's new license plates will feature the state flag's torch and stars on a Navy blue background with white letters, Bureau of Motor Vehicles officials said Friday after residents chose the design in an online vote among four proposals.

More than 107,000 people voted for their favorite plate, but all four designs were based on a state flag theme. The new plates will replace the pastel blue-green farm landscape that had been used since 2003.

The four final proposals were chosen from more than 40 ideas submitted by colleges, design agencies and state departments.

About 5.4 million vehicles _ or 40 percent of all Indiana-registered vehicles _ have standard license plates, according to the BMV. Drivers can opt for popular specialty tags for an extra fee, or the free "In God We Trust" plates that have been available since January.

Drivers complained in the past about license plate designs. Some were upset with the landscape design because the state opted to replace the popular "Back Home Again" slogan with state government's Internet address. Others complained about the plate's lightweight, flat design and its thick, dark-green typeface.

Go-24

Odd, they were showing the voting and the blue one wasnt anywhere close to first place last I checked; in fact it was in third by a long shot! I guess it will closely resemble their other controversial plate - In God We Trust ... hmmmmmm not really surprise after all!

The ACLU filed a suit against the State for not charging a fee to push religion; while all the other alternate plates will cost you.

If they thought people complained about an ugly plate before; they havent seen anything yet! That blue plate is butt ugly - no character at all; I would say it could probably be ranked in the top 5 of ugly plates in the US!

Drummadude

I didn't like the current plate of cornfields at first, but I've gotten used to it, and I like a "dynamic" plate better than a plain blue plate with the Indiana flag torch on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.