Status
Not open for further replies.

CRTRBNSN

Hi everyone. Just wanted to chime in a little and tell a little bit about myself . I am just getting back into the Scanner World. I started when I use to sit with my grandfather who use to listen to a BearCat III in the early 70's which I thought was the coolest thing I ever saw. As a teenager I believe I had a BearCat 142XL that I listened to for years , unfortunately I lost interest until recently some thirty years later . I stumbled upon some web based scanner apps and started listening again and have decided to get a new radio and external antenna. WOW! how things have changed in the past 30-40 years, I was overwhelmed at first with all the new technology and trying to decide what I needed for a radio was a nightmare. Long story shortened, After extensive reading of posts from this forum I decided on a BCD536HP and a TRAM 1411 discone on a thirty foot pole too start of with, which should be here in about a week. Wish me luck as I am still a little nervous about getting it set up right. If anyone has any advise to offer I am willing to listen , looking forward into having a long relationship with "RR" members. Thanks....

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You have a couple of learning curves. One is to understand how the latest types of radio systems work, such as digital/trunking etc. The second one is programming a scanner to receive them. The Bearcat III (fond memories) is like an AM radio back in the day. The Uniden BCD536 is like HD digital TV with wifi, DVD, and so many other new things.

My advice is remember that most all of us started out knowing very little. Give yourself permission to make mistakes in programming (you won't hurt the radio), be patient, be patient and be patient.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Whatever you do, don't attempt to learn everything at once. That's a quick ticket to total confusion. Only focus on those things you need to know to get started, and keep that list short. Keep in mind that you don't need to be an expert in today's radio communications to gain enough competence to run the 536. I've been in the hobby for over 35 years, and there's a lot I still don't know, and don't necessarily care to. So, just tailor your knowledge to your immediate needs, and you'll be fine.

BTW, welcome to RR! This site is the best resource available!

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Since you live in Florida, aka the lightning capitol of the United States, the FIRST thing you'll want to learn is how to properly ground that antenna you're putting on a 30 foot pole.

CRTRBNSN

Thank you all for the warm welcome and encouragement , I can see already that I have chosen the correct forum to join. I will be spending a lot of time in my room as soon as it arrives setting it up. I assure you that I will have a question or two . But I will work hard to figure it out on my own first so not to annoy anyone ( As I read the forums I see a lot of people who ask questions who really never tried to figure out on there own) .

My wife is already asking me if this is an expensive hobby, I didn't say anything but we all know were this new hobby can lead.

Curt

Status
Not open for further replies.