New or used SDS-100?

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
My mantra is always to buy any electronic devices new.

I was wondering however, if it is worth it to buy a used SDS-100 off of Ebay? Would I be saving money by buying a used one or am I better off buying new to make sure I get the factory warranty and accessories that come with a new scanner?

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I'm like you, i don't buy used stuff especially expensive electronic equipment. You may save a few bucks at first but after that you may end-up paying a lot to get it fixed. I say buy new whenever possible.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I've sold many scanners on the classified here and I usually give the buyer more than what would come with a new unit. I sold an SDS 100 with the REMtronix 800 antenna, and a few upgrades, also the adapter that fit the scanner better than what it was sold with and the original one too.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I've bought some used scanners but only sub>$125, never had any issues. There are certain models I think I would steer clear of buying used, like the 436/536hp and SDS-100. Recall the cold solder joint issue the SDS-100s were having and the "clock" issue the 36hp models had in the past. Hard to know if you're getting an older radio that was never fixed, or even one that's been on 24/7 providing a radio feed for years straight.

I would just buy new. You don't really save a whole lot buying used from what I've looked at...unless it has DMR/NXDN upgrades. If it does, make sure you get the keys from the previous owner. If you ever send it in for service you might need them to reactivate those services.

Trucker700

Out of the five scanners I have ( BCD160DN, 780XLT, SDS100, SDS200, BCD436HP) only the SDS200 was purchased new. I actually had two SDS100's at one time as well. I sold one and kept the other..so
I never have had any problems with any of the used or new scanners.
I did not buy any of the used scanners off of ebay. Several were bought in person from the seller. I have had good luck buying from ads on Craigslist.
I was a long haul truck driver and I would look at ads on Craigslist for some of the cities I regularly visited. I found better deals that way as none of the sellers wanted to ship the radio they were selling. Instead, they would meet me at a local truckstop and they would demo the radio and if it worked as advertised, I bought it. I never once was burned that way.
Prices I paid were better than what I would have paid from eBay and no fees.
My wife buys antique glassware off of eBay quite often. So far, she has got some good deals and no issues that she was not able to work out with the seller. So, some things may not be a problem buying from eBay. I am not too sure about electronic items.
James
WD5GWY

a727469

Premium Subscriber
It depends on money priorities, type of radio and risk. You take your chances. ‘I have always bought new except in one case and that transaction went very well. Having said that, I am in the process of selling one of my 325s and have sold many radios and feel I have always been fair as to condition etc. and I am sure others feel the same way.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I sold one scanner and didn't list it as CONUS only and ended up losing money shipping it to New Zealand. My mistake so I ate the shipping cost.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
that hurts! Years ago I included shipping when it was somewhat reasonable. Now it is plus shipping to the buyer although will split some of it if a good sounding buyer or someone I had dealt with before.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
If I might say, good suggestion on having this go under Uniden Prospectve, but it can also be interpreted as a new versus used discussion.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
It's hard for me to recommend purchasing a used SDS100. The used one that I purchased, which was less than a month old, has now died for the 2nd time and also the battery has recently expanded and is no longer safe to use.

Also, pricing for used ones seems to be too close to the cost of a new one from a legitimate website, scalpers aside.

I try to figure the cost of the scanner plus the cost of a repair trip to Uniden plus shipping when figuring out whether to buy new or used, especially if it includes no upgrades. If I add those three together and possibly one upgrade and the price is less than a new one, then I might consider it.

You can also get an extended warranty on new scanners.