Would you buy a new or used/pre-owned scanner?

Would you buy a new or used/pre-owned scanner

• New

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Used/Pre-Owned

Votes: 32 64.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Bought my first scanner, new from Radio Shack in the early 80's. Since then I've bought many used ones too, never had problems with them. Only thing to keep in mid with older ones is replacing the rechargeable batteries if applicable. Also, some desktop models I've bought had internal memory batteries that were exhausted and needed replacement. I now buy only used ones that include the manual or have one online. 73's.

PACNWDude

Used, and most of what I own is used equipment: scanners, radios, test equipment. But, then I am "in the industry" have the ability to repair pretty much anything made back to WWII (Halicrafters get picked up for my collection often, but this is about scanners). My last purchase was a used Radio Shack Pro-2042 with OS-535 board installed.

Getting used gear that someone inherited and does not want to deal with haggling comes in handy, and yields some worthwhile hardware. This goes for many things, and for those that are strapped for cash, well they get some money and you get the bargain.

I will do it again, but also understand "buyer beware" and that there may be zero support after the purchase, even on some auction sites (even if they yield more to the buyer now than ever before - buy something and use it for years, then say it was broken and want a refund, that is often times granted).

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased both, I have had good success buying open box demo gear as well. As a HAM operator I look at QRZ all the time. I have purchased several scanners/wide band receivers through QRZ- ham to ham you are known, the seller or purchaser knows where you live and nothing paints a worse picture of you than selling faulty gear to another ham. As always - let the buyer beware.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Out of the 8 BCD992P2s I have 7 were used and 6 from E-Bay no issues. I was going to buy the new BCD260DN but I found a BCD996P2 for $100 less and had DMR and NXDN activated

richardbritt

Database Admin
I bought my first Pro-2096 new from Radio Shack years ago. Bought 2 more used for my car and pickup, program them all the same. Later I have bought 2 used Ws-1040 handhelds from people who were in pro25 phase 2 areas. Got them cheaply and they work well. Of course NC VIPER is scheduled to get upgraded to phase 2 next year, so I recently bought a new bcd436hp. I'll be looking for 2 used bcd536 radios soon. I also have a used pro-96 and a couple of pro-2006 scanners like new I bought used years ago, in daily use. As far as ham gear I have been a ham over 50 years (since I was 15) and I worked at Heathkit as a tech, and for the local government, and federal government as a electronics technician and electrical engineering technician for many years. I own a 2 way radio repair shop for my own use (not a business venture) that I built from used broken test equipment. All commercial equipment.

Richard

BinaryMode

Used all the way. I have had no problems.

My current BCD325P2 was bought used on eBay and at a good deal too. I monitor eBay listings and waited for a P2 to come along where some if not all of the upgrades had already been added for a good deal. Lo and behold one showed up on eBay for around $350 and I scarfed it up. You can't even touch a new P2 on Chinazon for that price not withstanding the needed upgrades of DMR, NXDN and Provoice. Well, I have no use for Provoice, but the other two I do.

On the other hand, I did buy my 996P2 new on eBay out of Canada, but it too was a good deal compared to Chinazon.

Lets just say I have a very novel way of searching eBay and also getting an alert within 10 or so seconds if the item I'm looking for is listed . I also use Gixen for snipping. Not only is getting a great radio nice, but getting it even cheaper is nicer yet and to me that's the name of the game. It's like playing the stock market so to speak...

Heck, I shop at yard sales all the time too. The greatest deal of my entire life was from a yard sale. For a while I wanted a CH Products yoke and pedals for Flight Simulator. At the time, the yoke and the pedals sold for about $300 EACH on eBay. Then one day I was at a yard sale and there they were, glistening in the Sun like Manna from Heaven. Cautiously I asked the guy sitting next to his wife how much he wanted for the yoke and pedals as I figured he probably wanted a pretty penny for them. When he said, "I'll take $25 for both" I had two immediate thoughts fire through my ≈200 MPH neurons: 1) "holy crap!" and 2) "I bet there's something wrong with them." I figured if there was anything wrong with them I could fix it so I handed the guy a Jefferson and went on my way. With high hopes I plugged the yoke and pedals into the computer and looked in the devices of Windows control panel to see if they would show up. Sure enough they did and each and every single button and lever functioned as well. And to my amazement FSX (Flight Simulator) automatically assigned most buttons for me, too. LOL! Now THAT is what you call a good deal on something used.

I bought my AOR AR8000 on eBay for a decent price of $100.

One thing I notice with eBay or Goodwill's website is that Ham gear goes for waaaay too much and there is waaaay too much competition. That I find to be ridiculous. I just shake my head every time I see some 20 year old radio go for good money.

Moral of the story: buying used is a no brainier in this economy and all good things come to those that wait.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Bought many a used scanners, radios, etc. Key to success is BUY THE SELLER not the item. This applies to anything really but when it comes to radio stuff, one has less of a chance of getting hosed if they buy from a reputable seller. I always pay with PayPal/Venmo Goods and Services who offer a money back guarantee if an item is not as described or never arrives, a box of rocks, etc.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I had like 38 handhelds at one point. I had a mix of used and new and rarely had any problems that weren't caused by my dropping them onto my garage floor, or after they were pretty old, the junk BNC connectors most of them had would break one of the little fork "tangs" inside the connector. On most of the GRE/Whistler made units, I learned to tolerate the scratchy volume control.