New Radio Time

ditto1958

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2024
Messages
491
Reaction score
512
Location
Wisconsin
It’s new radio time. It’s scary how time flies. i recently posted that my beloved Tecsun PL-660 analog radio has stopped working. When I checked to see if it was still under warranty, it turns out I got it two years ago!

Wow. That was the second to last radio I acquired (collected). Seriously I stopped getting new ones when I ran out of features I wanted and didn’t have.

I‘m ordering a part for the PL-660, and will see if that fixes it, but meanwhile I’m down a radio.

At the top of my shortlist is the XHData D-808, which is currently on sale at Amazon. That thing is truly a sleeper. The Tecsun PL-330 has similar features, is usually a bit more expensive, and has gotten way more attention than the D-808. Yet if you watch and read reviews, the XHData seems to be at least as good as the PL-330.

I‘ve thought about going down the SDR rabbit hole, something with a waterfall display, and such, but I’m still not ready.
 

fasteddy64

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Messages
811
Reaction score
275
Location
Gulfport, MS
I love it. I had a PL-660 for years and really like it. This one is half the size and works even better. It is a keeper for sure.
 

RichM

Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2004
Messages
188
Reaction score
219
Anna from Anon-Co thinks it’s the power switch. So they‘re ordering one.
Please update when you make the part swap. Inquiring minds would like to know the outcome! I run a PL-660 as well, it is a sensitive receiver especially on SSB.

SDR can be a rabbit hole but worth it if you have the patience, computer aptitude and a good antenna. I love my SDRPlay with the companion SDRUno software. Tons of filters, logging, plugins etc. Using a waterfall to find things to listen to is a game changer.

Good luck, hope your repair works.
 
Last edited:

ditto1958

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2024
Messages
491
Reaction score
512
Location
Wisconsin
Ditto 1958, just curious, what part did you order for your PL-660 ?

Please update when you make the part swap. Inquiring minds would like to know the outcome! I run a PL-660 as well, it is a sensitive receiver especially on SSB.

SDR can be a rabbit hole but worth it if you have the patience, computer aptitude and a good antenna. I love my SDRPlay with the companion SDRUno software. Tons of filters, logging, plugins etc. Using a waterfall to find things to listen to is a game changer.

Good luck, hope your repair works.
Will do. It’s sad there doesn’t seem to be a market for people to repair electronics today. They are all pratty much disposable.

But they don‘t make this radio any more and decent used ones on eBay are $150+, way more than I paid for mine new two years ago.
 

devicelab

Radio N.E.R.D
Joined
Jul 18, 2016
Messages
2,145
Reaction score
881
Location
WA (USA)
I just picked up a Tecsun PL520 and am very pleased with it.
Yep, it's a solid shortwave portable. I'd like to get the S-2200x but I can't justify it right now. It's a little large to be slinging on the shoulder.

RFI at home pretty much makes HF unusable these days, so it's only good if I'm away from all the suburban noise.
 
Top