New Receiver

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Got my Icom R8600 Receiver in yesterday. Hooked the Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper antenna to the HF antenna jack and it worked great. Got a lot of learning to do. The Omnix Scanner Base Antenna that I used when I had the SDS200, which I sold, I will hook it to the VHF UHF antenna jack on the receiver for other monitoring. Shortwave from here on. I don't see no future purchases. Just sit back and enjoy. Got a CommRadio CR1 that I got to get rid of.

MDScanFan

Congratulations on getting the 8600. It is a very nice radio indeed. Its sensitivity and selectivity are very impressive. And having nearly DC to light in one standalone box is a great thing.

How do you like your Dx-SWL sloper? I have the same antenna but it is not up at the moment. When I did have it up I found it picked up a lot of local noise across different portions of HF. I think that was due to my particular installation and environment. I planned to play with the installation a bit to try to mitigate noise but I did not get the chance. Currently I am using a Pixel magnetic loop. While signal strength seems to be lower the noise is much lower. Some day I will put the sloper back up so I can have two hf rx antennas to play with.

I don't see no future purchases. Just sit back and enjoy.
That’s what they all say. Don't forgot, the 8600 has three antenna inputs :cool:

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on getting the 8600. It is a very nice radio indeed. Its sensitivity and selectivity are very impressive. And having nearly DC to light in one standalone box is a great thing.

How do you like your Dx-SWL sloper? I have the same antenna but it is not up at the moment. When I did have it up I found it picked up a lot of local noise across different portions of HF. I think that was due to my particular installation and environment. I planned to play with the installation a bit to try to mitigate noise but I did not get the chance. Currently I am using a Pixel magnetic loop. While signal strength seems to be lower the noise is much lower. Some day I will put the sloper back up so I can have two hf rx antennas to play with.

That’s what they all say. Don't forgot, the 8600 has three antenna inputs :cool:
Got the sloper on the 2nd antenna input. I live out in the country. I have the sloper up about 30 ft. Noise seems normal.

TailGator911

KF4ANC
Premium Subscriber
Love my 8600 and so will you! One great radio. I did a lot of comparing to my R75 when I first got it, both on the same antennas - 45ft PAR end-fed and the W6LVP magnetic loop. I cannot count the times I found and followed conversations that the R75 wouldn't even hear. The sensitivity of the 8600 is amazing. Have fun with it!