New scanner user, question about RISCON

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewinm

Feed Provider
So you don't set anything to simulcast. Simulcast refers to the trunking system transmitting on the same frequency, simultaneously, from multiple transmitter locations. ("Towers" if you will). The issue comes with how the scanner decodes the signal and is able to keep everything lined up, so the signal is clean with no dropouts. Most, almost all conventional trunking scanners can not do this. Uniden developed a scanner, the SDS series, specifically to resolve this issue and work like commercial radios on simulcast trunking systems. While it's not exactly the case, the scanners DO perform much much better on simulcast systems like RISCON, CLMRN in Connecticut , CoMIRS in Western Mass. You'll see a lot of threads in the Uniden forums here on these.
My understanding of Simulcast is the issue of multiple transmitters on the same frequency. RISCON doesn't do that. Each of the four towers is on its own frequency so simulcast shouldn't be a general issue. The only time there might be an issue is for an agency like Warwick FD which appears to transmit/receive on both the north and south towers. If you're in a location where you can receive both those towers, it's possible to lock in on the weaker signal which could degrade your scanner reception of the signal. But most other agencies only operate on a single tower. Am I missing something here?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Your understanding is 100% incorrect. There are four simulcast zones. Each simulcast Zone has more than one Tower. What W1KNE said is correct. That would be because he's an RF engineer and understands these systems.

My understanding of Simulcast is the issue of multiple transmitters on the same frequency. RISCON doesn't do that. Each of the four towers is on its own frequency so simulcast shouldn't be a general issue. The only time there might be an issue is for an agency like Warwick FD which appears to transmit/receive on both the north and south towers. If you're in a location where you can receive both those towers, it's possible to lock in on the weaker signal which could degrade your scanner reception of the signal. But most other agencies only operate on a single tower. Am I missing something here?

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
My understanding of Simulcast is the issue of multiple transmitters on the same frequency. RISCON doesn't do that. Each of the four towers is on its own frequency so simulcast shouldn't be a general issue.
RISCON has four ZONES not TOWERS. There are about 25-30 TOWERS in use on RISCON. The north zone for instance has 9 towers. All 9 towers use the same frequencies within the same zone.

And no, Agencies can use multiple zones at once, depending on how they are setup. East Providence, for instance is on both the NORTH zone and the METRO zone. It varies by agency.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
This was N1DSM solution to his simulcast problem.
Just want to thank you for the file and help setting up my scanner. I made a homemade 1/4w ground plane antenna that works great. Almost 5 signal bars on east, north and south riscon . The antenna is not even outside. His 20 was Johnston, RI.

Status
Not open for further replies.