New SDR User here, I've got some basic questions

KE4EXZ

Hi all, new user here, I'm using an RTL-SDR V4 with a Tram 1410 discone. So, despite getting a few of the SDR "manuals" and trying different things, I'm still not receiving like I should. To be specific, I do pick up local FM broadcast stations by setting the Bandwidth at 2048.000 and 96KHz, and the audio is "so-so", but listenable. HOWEVER, on every other band, I'm getting nothing. I am a Technician ham so I thought I'd try listening to the 2 meter band -- nothing.
My basic question is this: How do I know what the settings should be for the different bands? If I want to listen to 2 meters, what settings should I use? If I want to listen to 440 MHz, what settings? and so on and so on. I can't find *anything* that explains this -- the correlation between the bands and the settings for each of those bands. What am I missing here? I've tried trial-and-error and, with the exception of FM broadcast, it's been all error. I just need some advice or input so that, at some point, everything will "click" and I'll be able to get some use out of this SDR unit.
ANY advice appreciated! Hopefully I've explained this properly... :) Thanks....

PDXh0b0

Premium Subscriber
Hi all, new user here, I'm using an RTL-SDR V4 with a Tram 1410 discone. So, despite getting a few of the SDR "manuals" and trying different things, I'm still not receiving like I should. To be specific, I do pick up local FM broadcast stations by setting the Bandwidth at 2048.000 and 96KHz, and the audio is "so-so", but listenable. HOWEVER, on every other band, I'm getting nothing. I am a Technician ham so I thought I'd try listening to the 2 meter band -- nothing.
My basic question is this: How do I know what the settings should be for the different bands? If I want to listen to 2 meters, what settings should I use? If I want to listen to 440 MHz, what settings? and so on and so on. I can't find *anything* that explains this -- the correlation between the bands and the settings for each of those bands. What am I missing here? I've tried trial-and-error and, with the exception of FM broadcast, it's been all error. I just need some advice or input so that, at some point, everything will "click" and I'll be able to get some use out of this SDR unit.
ANY advice appreciated! Hopefully I've explained this properly... :) Thanks....
Set your gain between 22-38 for 2m/79cm, use nfm at a bandwidth of 10 to 12.5 khz

Broadcast fm use a gain 14-19, use wfm bandwidth of 192 -200 khz

KE4EXZ

Set your gain between 22-38 for 2m/79cm, use nfm at a bandwidth of 10 to 12.5 khz

Broadcast fm use a gain 14-19, use wfm bandwidth of 192 -200 khz
Thanks for the info. Can you explain to me *why* those particular settings are used? I'm just trying to get a handle on how/why these units work the way they do.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Can you explain to me *why* those particular settings are used? I'm just trying to get a handle on how/why these units work the way they do.
It is not really due to "these units". It is because those transmissions have those bandwidths. Different modes (particularly FM) have different bandwidths. Gain requires experimentation and will depend on your area. PDXh0b0 values are a reasonable starting point but depending on what transmitters are around you, experimentation may be needed.