New SDS200

ion_op

Hi,

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a SDS200. It has solved my Somerset county 700MHz Phase 2 problem decoding most of the time marginal signals between Watchung and Bridgewater being on the south-facing hill.

I noticed that some P2 systems the audio is louder and a bit distorted than others. South Orange Police dispatch is muffled. I can now decode Middlesex county that my 325P2 would not but they can be clear but loud. Other P2 systems like NJICS and Somerset P2 sound fine. I believe there is a way to adjust the audio gain for a particular system, TG, etc?

I'm currently doing zipcode scanning with a 1-2mi range and have yet to attempt programming. I use Freescan for my 325P2 but might try the Unident Sentinal software. How do you organize your systems? Do you create one big scan list or break things up into individual scanlists and organize that way?

Anyone using the 700MHz DPD base antenna or their VHF/UHF omni base antenna? I have a brand new discone never but I read at the 700/800MHz frequencies the discone patter starts to go skyward.

I think the SDS200 is the best scanner I've ever owned. Considering the SDS100 but I've read it's performance isn't as good as the 200. Need to update the 200 to the latest firmware.

Tnx,

Mike

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to do this on a global scale? I find the audio on my SDS100 is low for everything. Running the volume above 12 or so brings on distortion. I'm thinking this adjustment will probably make the distortion worse or bring it on at a lower volume setting.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to do this on a global scale? I find the audio on my SDS100 is low for everything. Running the volume above 12 or so brings on distortion. I'm thinking this adjustment will probably make the distortion worse or bring it on at a lower volume setting.
All the volume offset does is raise or lower volume. So to raise it globally, turn the volume knob up.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
All the volume offset does is raise or lower volume. So to raise it globally, turn the volume knob up.
Perhaps I misunderstood what the per channel volume offset does. So if I had the volume all the way up and dialed in a +3 offset it won't get any louder?

ansky

Yes you can adjust audio gain per TG. Very easy to do in the software.

Is this the same as volume offset? Some days the West Orange P25 system sounds horrible. It's like the dispatcher is way too close to the mic and it's very distorted.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
The sds100 that I no longer own was definitely low and somewhat shrill volume when increased too far. Some may disagree but with an external speaker it was listenable but it is a PORTABLE so I just did not find it useful. Yes, I love my sds200!