NEW STATE WIDE CHANNEL PLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaLa

kc0rnp said:
Just to let you all know there is a reason why you only here the "base" units. The state uses a HT that only has to transmit back to the car, then the car picks up the sigunal and then transmits it back to the base unit. You would have to be real close to pick up the HT that is transmiting back to the car. Pluss it is my understanding that the freqs for the HT to car system are not published.

I was under the impression that the reason I don't hear them most of the time is, that they are actually transmitting, BUT they are just too far away for me to pick them up with my whimpy antenna.

kb0nhx

HP in Nevada

For Nevada, the aforementioned frequncies are incorrect.

Nevada is on the West Channel, which consists of Vernon, Barton, Jasper, Lawrence and Dade counties. In those counties, listen for the base to car traffic on 42.580 and car to base on 42.780. The Jericho Springs repeater will not re-transmit cars in your area as its receiver is set to 42.220. In addition, it uses a dual UHF yagi system to beam the signal back to Springfield, and you probably will not be able to hear it at all from anywhere north of Jerico Springs very well.

42.380 is the base to car frequency for Troop A in Lee's Summit. You may be able to copy it.

I would stick with 42.580 / 42.780 and 42.020 for car to car simplex and 42.000 air to car speed enforcement for your area.

kb0nhx

HP In Nevada

The 42.120 you saw for the Base to Car from an earlier poster is not correct . . .yet.

Once the state switches over to the new band plan (listed on radio reference) then that will be correct. When Troop D will switch over is unknown.

So far, only Troops I and G have switched over to the new channel plan.

Input and output are kind of misleading. The HP does not use a repeater system, but a semi-duplex system, where the base and cars both transmit on simplex, but on different frequencies allowing the dispatcher to hear cars calling in while they are talking.

cnmsales

Well I have picked up stuff on the 42.0600 and last night i was getting both sides of the transmission but today im getting the base and then the car is all staticky so sounds like what you saidabout it is right. I havent picked anything up on 42.3800 except for static so im guessing my antenna just donest reach. I have programed both 42.5800 annd 42.7800 and will see what i get.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

kb0nhx

Low-band in Nevada

I wouldn't fault your antenna system too much. Our techs say that due to the lead mines up there around Nevada and the soil composition, it hurts radio reception / propogation on low-band from that particular area.

ksmoscanner

Took a quick drive down 71.

From the Nevada Burger King on an RS Mobile Ant eating a #6:

42.06 KAA243
456.175 (136.5) Cars clg Springfield ( 42.06 )- weak but monitorable
42.38 KAA202 Lees Summit Base
148.6 (186.2) Extenders at 3 traffic stops along the way in both Troop A and D.
42.58 had one strong signal while I was there.
Noted KAA204 Troop H on 42.58 as far south as Bates Co.

You should be able to hear all of these from Nevada....

Ever heard anything out of Camp Clark on training weekends?

Gregg in KC

cnmsales

Hey gregg i sure havent ever heard anything out of there. What freq would they be in i only get up to 512 mhz on my lil scanner i have right now.

Thanks for getting those freqs for me. Just wondering what each one is exactly? Also Are you assumeing i have a GOOD anttena set up? Right now im currently using a house mounted tv antena non-modified.

cnmsales

"456.175 (136.5) Cars clg Springfield ( 42.06 )- weak but monitorable"

Do both of these freqs transmit the same data or did you just forget to hit the enter key ? :p

456.175 (136.5) Also wondering what is the (136.5) Is this the tone, and if that is the case why is it important?

Thanks for all the info.

kb0nhx

Camp Clark

Camp clark has been shut down for about 2 years now. 136.5 Hz is the tone for the Jerico repeater. It is only important if you have a scanner that you can program in the tones. With the tone programmed, it will only let that particular signal on 456.175 open your squelch. Any other signal, no matter how strong, will not open your squelch on that frequency unless it happens to be using the same 136.5 Hz tone.

cnmsales

"Camp clark has been shut down for about 2 years now.

This is not correct at all. They did go through a period about 2 years ago were some were laid off but they still remain open and have since added employes back.

kb0nhx

Camp Clark

I stand corrected, then. Last I heard they were closing down for good, but that was a couple years ago. I was not aware they had opened back up. Thanks for the update!

iamhere300

Actually, the reason is because you have to monitor two frequencies in order to hear a conversation between dispatcher and mobile on the system, AND, the fact that the base station is transmitting with hundreds, even thousands of watts on high towers, and the mobiles are transmitting with only 50 to 110 watts into low to the ground inefficient antennas, on a non-repeatered system.

(Non repeatered insofar as the base/mobiles, they do use cross band repeaters for links and the in car vehicular repeaters)

Many agencies use vehicular repeaters, even some small fire departments, in order to fill holes in coverage. One of the issues with low band is portable coverage is terrible, hence the HiPO using the cross band repeaters. However, use of the in car repeaters, with the HT's, has nothing to do with the reception of the mobile by someone with a scanner.

Why low band? Dollar for dollar, in a system comprised of bases and mobiles, low band will give you the best coverage over a wide area. Its when you need portable coverage that low band is reallly terrible, add to that the interference issues, the other bands are more appealing now, and that is one of the reasons they will be going to another, yet undecided, band.

The HT frequencies are fairly well known, and nothing about them is "secret squirrel", they are in their license database.

The "fact the MHP prides it self on the HT to car system" Huh? I don't follow you on this one.

MO HiPO WILL be going to another band, another system. Low band equipment is tougher and tougher to find, and they want some of the advanced features that are not available on low band. They have acquired a LOT of towers, from McCullough Comsites (Former AT&T sites) Frosty Towers (Former MCI sites) Heartland Towers (Former AT&T site) Lattice Communications (Former IXC sites) and some smaller tower owners. Those towers will be both new base stations, and a microwave system to link it all together. Lots more towers to listen to.

kc0rnp said:
Just to let you all know there is a reason why you only here the "base" units. The state uses a HT that only has to transmit back to the car, then the car picks up the sigunal and then transmits it back to the base unit. You would have to be real close to pick up the HT that is transmiting back to the car. Pluss it is my understanding that the freqs for the HT to car system are not published. This was all explained to me once by someone that works for MHP communications, however they would not get the freqs used to me. In fact the MHP prides it self on the HT to car system that I don't think they will ever go to 800 or 700.

Why Low band? The only guess that I have is that Fire, EMS and other public safety folks used to be on low band. However, most have move to 155 (VHF) or 460 (UHF) and some to 800 and 700. So it makes sence for MHP to stay on low band because they are not competing with other local Fire, EMS, and public safety users on low band.

But yes the state TAC and COM are all VHF and UHF and use the state does use 155.370 and 155.730 for MHP and Sheriffs Nets, but for now it looks like MHP will be on low band.

kb0nhx

You are correct, both frequencies, mobile and base, must be monitored. I've found that it is best to monitor them by putting them back to back with no delay on that particular channel.

Not all frequencies, though, are on the FCC database. Some are shared federal frequencies, which are not in any FCC database or shown on any FCC license. Frequencies for the SERT teams and other day to day operations use these shared frequencies.

You are also correct about the tower sites. Though no immediate plans to re-locate from low-band are in place, long range plans are in the works. See Missouri's state license for 700 MHz, call WPTZ785.

iamhere300 said:
Actually, the reason is because you have to monitor two frequencies in order to hear a conversation between dispatcher and mobile on the system, AND, the fact that the base station is transmitting with hundreds, even thousands of watts on high towers, and the mobiles are transmitting with only 50 to 110 watts into low to the ground inefficient antennas, on a non-repeatered system.

(Non repeatered insofar as the base/mobiles, they do use cross band repeaters for links and the in car vehicular repeaters)

Many agencies use vehicular repeaters, even some small fire departments, in order to fill holes in coverage. One of the issues with low band is portable coverage is terrible, hence the HiPO using the cross band repeaters. However, use of the in car repeaters, with the HT's, has nothing to do with the reception of the mobile by someone with a scanner.

Why low band? Dollar for dollar, in a system comprised of bases and mobiles, low band will give you the best coverage over a wide area. Its when you need portable coverage that low band is reallly terrible, add to that the interference issues, the other bands are more appealing now, and that is one of the reasons they will be going to another, yet undecided, band.

The HT frequencies are fairly well known, and nothing about them is "secret squirrel", they are in their license database.

The "fact the MHP prides it self on the HT to car system" Huh? I don't follow you on this one.

MO HiPO WILL be going to another band, another system. Low band equipment is tougher and tougher to find, and they want some of the advanced features that are not available on low band. They have acquired a LOT of towers, from McCullough Comsites (Former AT&T sites) Frosty Towers (Former MCI sites) Heartland Towers (Former AT&T site) Lattice Communications (Former IXC sites) and some smaller tower owners. Those towers will be both new base stations, and a microwave system to link it all together. Lots more towers to listen to.

kc0rnp said:
Just to let you all know there is a reason why you only here the "base" units. The state uses a HT that only has to transmit back to the car, then the car picks up the sigunal and then transmits it back to the base unit. You would have to be real close to pick up the HT that is transmiting back to the car. Pluss it is my understanding that the freqs for the HT to car system are not published. This was all explained to me once by someone that works for MHP communications, however they would not get the freqs used to me. In fact the MHP prides it self on the HT to car system that I don't think they will ever go to 800 or 700.

Why Low band? The only guess that I have is that Fire, EMS and other public safety folks used to be on low band. However, most have move to 155 (VHF) or 460 (UHF) and some to 800 and 700. So it makes sence for MHP to stay on low band because they are not competing with other local Fire, EMS, and public safety users on low band.

But yes the state TAC and COM are all VHF and UHF and use the state does use 155.370 and 155.730 for MHP and Sheriffs Nets, but for now it looks like MHP will be on low band.

Status
Not open for further replies.