New Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfirefighter

FCC ULS was updated this afternoon with my call sign for my new tech license.....KB1WET! I don't know how I feel about the "WET" part though, although it did make me chuckle when I saw it. Glad I finally got the call though, and now to look up some local repeaters to listen to!

K3DCX

Very cool "WHISKEY ECHO TANGO"
:)

I always wanted "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
FCC ULS was updated this afternoon with my call sign for my new tech license.....KB1WET! I don't know how I feel about the "WET" part though, although it did make me chuckle when I saw it. Glad I finally got the call though, and now to look up some local repeaters to listen to!

Congrats on the callsign. I always have found to have fun making up words with the last 3 call letters of people's callsigns it's pretty fun to do so...Like take my last 3 letters of my call CYA..It can be spelled out Charlie Yankee Alpha, Cover Your Ahem or C'YA as in See ya. Depends on how you feel about the call if you don't like it or you can always apply for a new one or apply for 1x3 vanity callsign..If I was you I would stick with the callsign see how you like it for a week, weeks, or maybe a month and make a decision then.

- Jamie (N4CYA)

KC0KM

Congrats on the new ticket. My old call suffix was HMI -- which I often said I was glad it was not HMH (one of the shops I deliver to is called HMH), although I do know HMH and we would greet each other as "H" and "I". The other day I was looking up where the calls in the Zero call was the other day, and they are in the KD0PU's -- like PUB, PUC, PUD, PUK, PUN, PUP(already getting HV), PUR, PUT, PUU (they stop a X). I am not sure if I would want to be a PUD or a PUK though.

If you want, you can always get a vanity call, but since you are a fire fighter, you are often "wet". (Being fire buff I have several stories of FF that I knew and how they got "wet" like falling into two pools in the middle of winter...)

KC5AKB

Congrat's on the call
I kinda like the call It would look good on a Radio Op Car Tag K B 1 W E T
73 ,
From Texas KC5AKB

emd001

Congrats on the call and welcome to the hobby. The last three of my call are "YOT" but everyone pronounces it yacht, it can get pretty funny.

jmfirefighter

I think I might try to apply for my grandfather's call sign. He was a ham according to my dad and I looked up his call sign, it's available and past the two year mark after his license expired. I think it would be nice to keep the call in the family if I can.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Too bad it wasn't KB1WIT :lol:

Congrats even if you are all WET! :cool:

n9zas

jmfirefighter

Well for right now I have a Motorola XTS2500 and Astro Spectra that I use for work (I am a paramedic, and both radios are personally owned). Both are VHF, and able to go down to ham bands fine. The 2500 is also front panel programing capable. I plan on using these for now until I can get some money to purchase a real ham transceiver.

KC0KM

I think I might try to apply for my grandfather's call sign. He was a ham according to my dad and I looked up his call sign, it's available and past the two year mark after his license expired. I think it would be nice to keep the call in the family if I can.

You should be able to get it, and if you tell them that is your Grandfathers, you might get (should) priority over anyone else. (Provided you are with in the same class of license, if he had a Advanced or Extra Call, you still cannot get it, but if it is a 2X3 or 1X3 it will be no problem)

There are various of ways you can do this -- one is go through the FCC directly, it is roughly $15.00 for the fee (other sites charge you close to $40-50). If you need help (on the FCC site) let me know I will try and step you through it, but it is rather simple.

Last edited:

W3PWN

Congratulations! I definitely got a personalized call sign as you might have guessed. haha

jmfirefighter

My vanity call sign application was approved this morning. I was able to get my grandfather's old call sign of W1DPT. Unfortunately, he passed away yesterday around 2pm after he failed to recover from a major surgery he had last week. I almost feel like being granted this call sign today was like a final gift from my grandfather.

Rest in peace grandpa!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
My vanity call sign application was approved this morning. I was able to get my grandfather's old call sign of W1DPT. Unfortunately, he passed away yesterday around 2pm after he failed to recover from a major surgery he had last week. I almost feel like being granted this call sign today was like a final gift from my grandfather.

Rest in peace grandpa!

Am sorry about your loss.That does seem like a gift,and a nice one at that to.

Status
Not open for further replies.