New Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor05121

Hello all! I stopped by Suwannee Amateur Radio Club's last meeting and was interested. Met a few of the guys and decided to go for it. This is after a two-year hiatus when I tried to go for my license in Gainesville- I missed the test time by 5 minutes and the proctor was a hole in the rear and wouldn't let me in and was rude about it so that left a bad taste in my mouth until I tried again. One of the guys called me on saturday and told me the test was sunday, so I spent a couple hours on QRZ, knowing absolutely NOTHING about radios and came out with only missing 3. I tried for the General but missed 14. Maybe next time. Still awaiting my call, but I'm listening to the clubs repeater right now. I've got several Kenwood 7180 VHF rigs, a TS-940S HF rig, and a handheld. Looks like a good addition to Skywarn, flying, and the fire department.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hello all! I stopped by Suwannee Amateur Radio Club's last meeting and was interested. Met a few of the guys and decided to go for it. This is after a two-year hiatus when I tried to go for my license in Gainesville- I missed the test time by 5 minutes and the proctor was a hole in the rear and wouldn't let me in and was rude about it so that left a bad taste in my mouth until I tried again. One of the guys called me on saturday and told me the test was sunday, so I spent a couple hours on QRZ, knowing absolutely NOTHING about radios and came out with only missing 3. I tried for the General but missed 14. Maybe next time. Still awaiting my call, but I'm listening to the clubs repeater right now. I've got several Kenwood 7180 VHF rigs, a TS-940S HF rig, and a handheld. Looks like a good addition to Skywarn, flying, and the fire department.

Sorry about how some of the people at the last test site who was rude to you. There are some people who act like on the radio who think they are ham god's don't worry about them.

Welcome to the ham radio scene! I'm myself a Amateur/Ham radio operator since late 2006 still a technician haven't had time to go study for my general class license. Make sure you sign up on the FCC ULS database to assign yourself a FRN number so you can add/edit anything on your callsign once assigned to your name. Once your test and everyone else scores goes to the FCC and arrives it takes a week or maybe longer all depends on how busy the FCC is.

Also some helpful information I'm a QRZ staff forum member who adds foreign callsigns to the QRZ callsign database we can NOT add USA callsigns to the database...The USA callsigns get fed through to the callsign database server from the FCC.

Again welcome to the ham radio scene.

- Jamie (N4CYA)

Raptor05121

Thanks for the words, Jamie. I have since went and got my FRN number. IMO, the FCC needs to give new HAMs a temp until theirs comes in, I'm not one for patience :D

emd001

Congrats and welcome to the club! I couldn't wait until my call was in the database, I checked just about every hour until it finally showed up lol.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Thanks for the words, Jamie. I have since went and got my FRN number. IMO, the FCC needs to give new HAMs a temp until theirs comes in, I'm not one for patience :D

No problem. Once you get your callsign in your hands from the FCC all you have to do is talk away on the frequency or repeater maybe simplex depends on your area. I know 2/440 are popular in some areas and 6/50mhz isn't so much in areas all depends on the demand of amateur radio operators and they're needs for local/some what distant/ and far away frequency use.

Also check other features of ham radio like EchoLink/IRLP maybe D-Star alot of people use different contact modes either through Internet based like what EchoLink, IRLP & D-Star is. Here's a helpful website with local frequencies that are listed in your area just click on state/city or town for your area and there you go!

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily

73' Jamie (n4cya)

Status
Not open for further replies.