New To Aircraft Monitoring... need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveHandhelds

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Thanks for the links. I saw this year's version of the Aeronautical Information Manual at the book store last week but it seems more geared towards pilots so I didn't buy it.

Stavro35

Don't forget to look for airline frequencies between 128.5 and 132.0 You'll hear a lot of routine traffic. Like in bound and out bound flights talking to their people at whatever airport they're in bound to or departing from at any given moment.

Be sure to look for ARTC frequencies. If you're lucky you'll hear the ground controller and the pilots.

Lots of military traffic in the 138.00 to 144 range in A.M mode. And then again in 225.0 to 400.00 in both A.M and NBFM mode.

Look for US army, navy, airforce common frequencies and go ahead and program those in your radios

Last edited:

Wrench1

Can someone help me out with what channels I should look for in traverse city MI. I am new to aircraft monitoring. Now I have a buddy that travels for work so I drop him off and pick him up once a week so I thought since I was at the airport so often it would be fun to have something to take up some time.
Thanks

tbigelow

When you'r looking at freqs. It's a good idea to understand that there are three types of ATC facilities. Tower, TRACON (et al), and ARTCC's. Their functions can be generalized but there is some crossover.

Some ARTCC's also act like TRACONs in some areas utilizing 3mi separation and providing approach service to multiple airports such as the area in northern Cal. containing two towered airports of Napa and Santa Rosa.

Regards,
Troy

Status
Not open for further replies.