New to Digital scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgolf

Well my local Sheriff, EMS, Fire, and City PDs just switched to digital. So my uniden analog will no longer pick them up. I was thinking about getting a new digital scanner but my research has found that programming one can be difficult. Plus I don't have the new digital freqs that they are on now. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get me listening again? I really don't want to put a lot of money into 9ne then run into problems with programming

Bgolf

Pickens county SC and I just listen to Sheriff's, Fire. EMS, city PDs

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a tremendous set of pages in our wiki on both of the SDS scanners. Folks sometimes ask for files for programming from people in their area, but there are other ways to get started. We also have YouTube and other videos linked in our wiki to help.

Sentinel is the free Uniden software that comes with the SDS scanners. Most will use this to start, then purchase ProScan or ARC536 to supplement the functions

The videos I mentioned are linked in the 2nd page of the above FAQ. Keep the FAQ handy; it contains a wealth of information that you won't find very easily elsewhere. The supplied manual that comes with the scanners is badly out of date and very incomplete

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To find the database entry for your county, go up to the blue toolbar on the left that says 'RadioReference', and click on the little arrow. Select 'Database', then on the next page, look at the left and find 'Browse all Data'. A map of the US should show up. Now click on your state, and use the pulldowns to select your county

It appears that you will need the NXDN upgrade for the SDS scanners, as your county fire and EMS uses this kind of system

Take your time; ask lots of questions. There is a learning curve here and it will take some time, but you will get it.

Good luck

Mike

tvengr

Well Known Member
Pickens county SC and I just listen to Sheriff's, Fire. EMS, city PDs
Pickens County is in the process of changing radio systems. I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the South Carolina forum. The members there will be better equipped to answer your questions about the scanner you will need. Make sure that you read the thread on the new Pickens County system in the South Carolina forum.

Last edited:

Bgolf

Pickens County is in the process of changing radio systems. I suggest that you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the South Carolina forum. The members there will be better equipped to answer your questions about the scanner you will need. Make sure that you read the thread on the new Pickens County system in the South Carolina forum.
Thanks I just reported and requested to move it to the SC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.