New to HF and looking at antenna options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywoulf

I put mine in the antenna line close to the radio, tuner or amplifier. If your coax passes by computer cables or noisy equipment on the way outside, it might be better to place the second choke in the line on the antenna side of the computer cables instead of the radio side. A spectrum display is useful to see noise and birdies to find the most effective place to put a choke.
Thanks for the advice. There are no computer cables to deal with. Just a couple of other antenna cables. One to my 2 meter mobile and the other to a CB radio which I never use anymore. One more day to field day which I am so looking forward to.

prcguy

Its nice to have a spare 1:1 choke balun made up with a male and female connector. Then you can place it in different spots along the coax run to see if it has any effect before committing to one in the line permanently. If it doesn't do anything useful in one particular spot then why have extra $$ camping out on your coax?

Thanks for the advice. There are no computer cables to deal with. Just a couple of other antenna cables. One to my 2 meter mobile and the other to a CB radio which I never use anymore. One more day to field day which I am so looking forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.