New to programming/Uniden BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
When I get into the list I want to move the frequencies I can't find a way to "paste them" in. I understand getting channels on the clipboard, I just can't figure out how to insert them in a different bank. I had success moving talkgroups to other banks, but I don't remember how I did it. When I was successful I could not figure out how I did it. Sorry, I'm experiencing cognitive loss due to a trauma in 1986 that is now collecting its dues.

Well! I fooled around with this ProScan software tonight for quite some times trying to figure out how to take channels from one bank or talkgroup list and cut them from one bank and put them in another one. My thinking was on the lines of traditional copy, cut and paste techniques used on Word and Excel documents. It isn't like those at all. You just highlight the items in one bank, either hit copy or move, then a screen asking you where to move them to pops up. For conventional channels you just enter any channel number in any bank and the channels are moved or copied to that location. There is no limit as to where the channels can be moved or copied to. Here I thought that channel prompt was only for channels in the bank you are presently in. So it wasn't a cut and paste type of thing.

I had to spent a good amount of time trying to figure this out, but alas, there aren't any written instructions to tell you how to do this. This current edition of the software is much better than the 2007 version. But, hey computer techies. you have to write instructions, the rest of us don't always read you minds very well. Sometimes you don't explain the simple stuff, thinking it is intuitive. Sometimes this type of thing is exactly what makes using a computer difficult.

Still, I'm very happy with the software. I look forward to the 325P2 and hope the manual for it is better than a lot of instructions I receive with some products.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I am not happy with the ProScan product tonight. I've been trying to load a file all day and the scanner and the computer would not communicate. I had changed the baud rate on both from 19,200 to 9600 thinking that was the problem, but it didn't help. I reset each at 19,200 and the scanner started to communicate once again. I put the scanner in what I thought was the proper mode and hit download. I watched my entire file disappear channel by channel. I checked the scanner and there isn't a program in it, no frequencies at all. My file is now devoid of any frequencies, it is blank. It took me the better part of a week to write it and now its gone.

There aren't any instructions for the software or the scanner that tells you how to download a program and nowhere was it mentioned that I was going to lose my file trying to download. I'm not a big Uniden fan and I've been suspicious of the various software used to program the things. This all comes down to lousy, lousy instructions for the software. I may just give up, not run the 780 again and forget about buying a 325P2.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It sounds like you read from the scanner to the computer, instead of writing from the computer to the scanner. And did you save your programming to the computer at any point? If you did (and you should have), it's still wherever you saved it. If not, it's a case of double user error, not a problem with the scanner or ProScan.

tvengr

Well Known Member
From the reports I have seen, there have been very few complaints about ProScan. The creator has been very responsive to users. ProScan can be used with many different scanners. As jonwienke stated, your loss of programming is probably due to operator error. As new users, we all had problems and learned from our mistakes. I have always used Butel ARC-XT. It works fine with my BCD325P2. If all you want is programming your scanner, ARC-XT Basic will do an excellent job. The Pro version adds logging and virtual control. You can download the software for a free trial period to see how you like it. ProScan is an excellent program. I use it myself. It helps to find software that makes you feel comfortable. It's your choice which software you use.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
It sounds like you read from the scanner to the computer, instead of writing from the computer to the scanner. And did you save your programming to the computer at any point? If you did (and you should have), it's still wherever you saved it. If not, it's a case of double user error, not a problem with the scanner or ProScan.

I saved the file once I completed it. I set up a folder for ProScan with a folder for the BC780 and the 325P2 (anticipating its purchase). I know it's operator error. It's very easy to make errors when the manual doesn't have any directions on the everyday operation of the software. I had to learn everything about that from trial and error, just pushing buttons to see what they did. I had no idea of how to move channels from one bank to another. I had no idea that once you clicked the move button you could list any channel destination on any bank in the program. This is very different from most programs where a cut and paste is the norm. I had to keep trying everything I could think of until I discovered how to enter a channel in another bank to move channels from one bank to another. The delay added up to hours of fumbling. There would not be any delay if instructions were written for this and other basic procedures.

The terms "upload" and "download" are not used consistently in the computer industry. For example, if I want to put an application onto my computer, I find a website on a server, which is connected to a large computer and hit download, which sends the app from a big computer to my small computer. The receiving computer (mine) receives what has been downloaded. I download from the sending computer. In this software you have to "upload" to your scanner. My computer is the sending unit and the small radio is the destination so one would think you would download to the radio, as it is receives the data. This would easily be explained if the application's manual, which is nicely available by clicking on the support tab on the top, were written to cover the basics.

The point is that this and a whole slew of computer applications have poorly or never written instructions. Instructions are meant to reduce errors, which in this case, cost me 20-30 hours of work. I'm not the only person with this observation. There is an old joke about Microsoft's poor instructions, but I won't share it here. It illustrates that a lot of people are very frustrated with poor instructions when they use their computers.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The terms "upload" and "download" are not used consistently in the computer industry. For example, if I want to put an application onto my computer, I find a website on a server, which is connected to a large computer and hit download, which sends the app from a big computer to my small computer. The receiving computer (mine) receives what has been downloaded. I download from the sending computer. In this software you have to "upload" to your scanner. My computer is the sending unit and the small radio is the destination so one would think you would download to the radio, as it is receives the data. This would easily be explained if the application's manual, which is nicely available by clicking on the support tab on the top, were written to cover the basics.

The upload and download terminology is clearly spelled out in the Proscan manual that you continue to claim is poorly written and didn't cover that. All you had to do was read it.

upload.jpg

The point is that this and a whole slew of computer applications have poorly or never written instructions. Instructions are meant to reduce errors, which in this case, cost me 20-30 hours of work. I'm not the only person with this observation. There is an old joke about Microsoft's poor instructions, but I won't share it here. It illustrates that a lot of people are very frustrated with poor instructions when they use their computers.

In this case, the cause of your wasted time is positively not with the instructions included with the Proscan software... both the Proscan software and it's author are highly respected by the members of this forum and others. Your frustration and accusations are baseless and completely misplaced.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I saved the file once I completed it. I set up a folder for ProScan with a folder for the BC780 and the 325P2 (anticipating its purchase). I know it's operator error. It's very easy to make errors when the manual doesn't have any directions on the everyday operation of the software. I had to learn everything about that from trial and error, just pushing buttons to see what they did. I had no idea of how to move channels from one bank to another. I had no idea that once you clicked the move button you could list any channel destination on any bank in the program. This is very different from most programs where a cut and paste is the norm. I had to keep trying everything I could think of until I discovered how to enter a channel in another bank to move channels from one bank to another. The delay added up to hours of fumbling. There would not be any delay if instructions were written for this and other basic procedures.
I'm always making improvements where it's needed. Can you give an example of what buttons you pressed to see what they did. The Move button is or should be self explanatory. Are you saying that the button should be labeled "Cut".
The terms "upload" and "download" are not used consistently in the computer industry. For example, if I want to put an application onto my computer, I find a website on a server, which is connected to a large computer and hit download, which sends the app from a big computer to my small computer. The receiving computer (mine) receives what has been downloaded. I download from the sending computer.
It's no different with ProScan. When you put an application on your computer, you're downloading. In ProScan when you put data on your computer from the scanner, you're downloading.
In this software you have to "upload" to your scanner. My computer is the sending unit and the small radio is the destination so one would think you would download to the radio, as it is receives the data.
The terms Uploading and Downloading are relative that depends on where you're at. Other terms with the same principle that could cause confusion includes: TX/RX, OUT/IN, SEND/RECEIVE, EXPORT/IMPORT.
This would easily be explained if the application's manual, which is nicely available by clicking on the support tab on the top, were written to cover the basics.
Like I said before Downloading and Uploading are covered in the manual.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

The upload and download terminology is clearly spelled out in the Proscan manual that you continue to claim is poorly written and didn't cover that. All you had to do was read it.

View attachment 90943

In this case, the cause of your wasted time is positively not with the instructions included with the Proscan software... both the Proscan software and it's author are highly respected by the members of this forum and others. Your frustration and accusations are baseless and completely misplaced.

Thank you, there it is on Page 68. I think I missed it as I didn't know the meaning of "DMA Database" and still don't. In addition the text just below that heading (on my printed copy where I added page numbers) doesn't include the BC780 scanner model. When I read and highlighted the text of the manual I carefully read and highlighted every time the text "BC780XLT" showed up. Since that text did not show under that heading I did not read it, thinking it did not apply to the BC780. The next time I highlighted that text was on page 69 under the "Database Import located in the Menu -->Database --> Import." I knew that the RR DB was not going to be useful for this particular file, so I made a note that this section was needed when writing other files. The next time I highlighted "BC780XLT" was on page 70, where it is listed under "Non-DMA Database," which confirmed what I had thought before, I need to disregard the instructions under "DMA Database." Page 71 continues with instructions about audio recording, which I want to do at some point in the future, but didn't need right now to write this file. This file is being written so I can lend a friend a scanner with alphanumeric display, eliminating the need to be constantly looking back and forth between the BC760 I lent her and the frequency cheat sheet I typed for her.

I never clicked save after I watched my file's channel lines disappear very quickly. I could not stop the process either. I was not aware of what was happening at the time, otherwise I would have pulled the USB end of the cable out of the computer. I'm not sure that would have helped or hurt. I then checked the file and reloaded it to the application. Every line was blank. I never hit save in the meantime.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I think I missed it as I didn't know the meaning of "DMA Database" and still don't.

A very simple Google search would have brought you that information instantly, so much faster than the time you are taking to complain about it.

In fact, the very first Google hit for "Uniden DMA Database" brings you right back to the WiKi here on Radio Reference.

With the high level of technology involved with modern radio systems, the scanners that monitor the multitude of protocols in use by those systems, and the software that has to address all that.... you can't expect that one source is going to spoon feed you every single spec of knowledge and information involved with all of this. If you do expect that, you're in the wrong hobby.

A little research and patience on your part instead of placing blame where it truly doesn't belong, would bring you a long way. The rest of us all had to learn that way... it's really not that difficult.

Last edited:

pb_lonny

Is this really about "upload" and "download"???? I don't think the concept is that hard to understand and it is CLEARLY covered in the software.

ra7850

Thank you, there it is on Page 68. I think I missed it as I didn't know the meaning of "DMA Database" and still don't. In addition the text just below that heading (on my printed copy where I added page numbers) doesn't include the BC780 scanner model. When I read and highlighted the text of the manual I carefully read and highlighted every time the text "BC780XLT" showed up. Since that text did not show under that heading I did not read it, thinking it did not apply to the BC780. The next time I highlighted that text was on page 69 under the "Database Import located in the Menu -->Database --> Import." I knew that the RR DB was not going to be useful for this particular file, so I made a note that this section was needed when writing other files. The next time I highlighted "BC780XLT" was on page 70, where it is listed under "Non-DMA Database," which confirmed what I had thought before, I need to disregard the instructions under "DMA Database." Page 71 continues with instructions about audio recording, which I want to do at some point in the future, but didn't need right now to write this file. This file is being written so I can lend a friend a scanner with alphanumeric display, eliminating the need to be constantly looking back and forth between the BC760 I lent her and the frequency cheat sheet I typed for her.

I never clicked save after I watched my file's channel lines disappear very quickly. I could not stop the process either. I was not aware of what was happening at the time, otherwise I would have pulled the USB end of the cable out of the computer. I'm not sure that would have helped or hurt. I then checked the file and reloaded it to the application. Every line was blank. I never hit save in the meantime.

Can you open the Proscan programAnnotation 2020-09-07 222124.png and take a screen capture of the menu accessed by clicking the work database in the upper left hand portion of the Proscan software? Then post it here. You may be able to open one of the previously saved files and find your data.. Should look something like the below.

wbswetnam

On a slightly different topic / aspect of the BCD325P2, I have found that mine does pretty well in simulcast situations. I do not have either of the SDS models, but I have taken my 325P2 along with my BCD435HP for a side-by-side comparison on the Little Rock simulcast system. In downtown Little Rock, the 325P2 does substantially better than the 435HP.
Recently I was in Hot Springs, where I was monitoring AWIN on the new Garland County simulcast system. I was quite happy with the 325P2's performance there as well.
On a final note, I use ProScan for programming my 325P2 and 996P2s. I think the registration fee is $40 and it's yours indefinitely, with very regular updates and tweaks. It's well worth the money, I think.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In downtown Little Rock, the 325P2 does substantially better than the 435HP.
It has been my experience that the 436HP handles simulcast better than the 325P2. Do you have the latest firmware I believe the latest firmware for the 436HP (1.26.00) improved simulcast performance.

ion_op

Would NJICS and Somerset County TRS's fit in the 325P2 without having to play games and split them up? I read an eham review that state the HP2 does not have a priority feature. Is that true?

Paysonscanner

Payson do not be suspicious of FreeScan, the free software uploader for scanners. Ive been using it for years. I have programmed my scanner BY HAND before, it was a good teaching tool for me to get a feel for the receiver and how it works, but I would shudder to think of manually entering in everything now. With my BCD996P2 (phase 2 capable, does the job, nothing fancy like sds100) from what I have internet-searched I came to conclusion the scanner that programs via zip code entry was not one I wanted- I can't remember why, but the BCD was "best choice" without costing 700/800$ or more. Amazon had some at a great price, & they guarantee satisfaction! no worries- you will get a working scanner from them. I paid for a radioreference membership (only 15 dollars, makes programming a breeeeeeeze!) I open the Freescan program on my computer, there's a button that logs you into RR, and you just click.. it uploads anything you want, and your preferences too. I found I could set it to "upload control channels only" (you want this, if you don't know why look into it) and to ignore/not upload Encrypted channels (you can't receive them so why bother) just my two cents - freescan is lovely. I don't have to ask the Mr to "help"- he's not into scanning anyway, so I can do it all myself. Look into Freescan, save yourself headaches.

I'm getting on RR less and less due to caregiver workload and the burnout I have to watch out for. I apologize for this delayed reply. The final decision on a radio that will allow monitoring the APS system was to purchase the BCD325P2. We ordered it from Scanner Master and it was shipped on Monday, 10-05. I decided on the ProScan software because it can program some of the older Uniden scanners have in storage. I have a BC780 that Hubby and I used for a year or two, then moved on to a PSR-600 due to the 780's delay time when tone scanning. However, we are thinking of installing it in the garage and feeding it through a splitter (or whatever they are called) off our rooftop antenna's coax. My late husband fed multiple scanners in our Sierra foothill home. The splitter is the best available so don't give me advice on those. The ProScan allows moving blocks of channels up and down in a bank moving blocks from bank to bank. I used some free software that didn't allow moving highlighted groups of channels to be moved up and down in a bank. That is something essential for me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.