New to scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonwasaloon

I'm looking to get a police scanner for my dad for his birthday. We live in Philly, should there be anything I should look into before I buy it? Recommendations?

frazpo

By the looks of the database I wouldn't mess with anything other than digital scanner for your area. Lots of government and a new p25 (digital) system appears to be in the works.

Uniden 996xt and 396xt are top Uniden digital scanners. One is a base and one is a portable.

I will let someone else chime in on GRE and Radio Shack scanners. I mostly use Uniden.

Cost for a new digital scanner no matter the brand will cost no less than about $300. and thats on sale.
So be prepared to drop a little cash.

Also, if you do not go with Uniden then be sure to purchase a programming cable and software. As far as I know you have to buy them separately with the other two brands. So include that in the cost when deciding. Just FYI

I am sure that is a good area to have a scanner. I bet he would like it.

Last edited:

frazpo

Who's selling digital for around 300 other than a gre?

I didn't say any other brand was. The post stated that you will spend no less than $300 on a "digital scanner" and that's on sale. Is this not true?

I try to help a guy out and someone starts dissecting my post.

safetyobc

Does your dad know how to program scanners or willing to learn?

If not, I would go with the PSR-800 or Uniden Home Patrol. They both can be programmed by location with ease. This would be the easiest solution. Just push a couple buttons to set your location and what/who you want to hear and he will be scanning the local systems in no time.

frazpo

Does your dad know how to program scanners or willing to learn?

If not, I would go with the PSR-800 or Uniden Home Patrol. They both can be programmed by location with ease. This would be the easiest solution. Just push a couple buttons to set your location and what/who you want to hear and he will be scanning the local systems in no time.

I have no idea why I didn't mention the Home patrol. Thanks safetyobc.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I try to help a guy out and someone starts dissecting my post.

I was not dissecting your post. I was asking who was selling in the 300 range because I am in the market for a digital scanner. I asked you a question, why would you think I was dissecting your post?

frazpo

I was not dissecting your post. I was asking who was selling in the 300 range because I am in the market for a digital scanner. I asked you a question, why would you think I was dissecting your post?

Sorry. It seems sometimes that people are out for a knowledge contest on these forums. I took your comment wrong. However, I have had people do that so it didn't surprise me.

No, I was not being specific on the scanner price. I know Radio Shack had one going for $299 a couple of weeks ago. That was the sale I was speaking of. I would watch Craigslist. I picked up a 396xt with software, case, and the GPS module for $320. It saved me a little money and the guy took very good care of his stuff like I do so it turned out well.

regards,

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Craigslist is scary. Been watching ebay and keep seeing the ripoff sites advertising the Uniden BCD396XT for 103.99. These morons claim items are brand new with all included accessories

frazpo

Craigslist is scary.

Yes, Craigslist is scary. I always meet in a public lot. no dark alleys. After a few email exchanges I get a pretty good idea of who I'm dealing with. But you never know. I don't live in huge metro area so I feel a little safer dealing with small town folks. That cling to their guns and bibles,,,:)

Status
Not open for further replies.