NEW TO SCANNING

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
So looking in the database, it looks like there is a bunch of analog FM still being used by Carroll County. There are two STARS sites for the statewide radio system but no TG's are listed for the county itself. Everything is FM. I think a standard 436/SDS or TRX-1 would do well and would future proof your setup if/when something changes.

Interesting. I have an old analog radio I'll have to dig out & set up. I think it's a uniden 455.... can't quite remember. Once I locate it I'll get back & thank you for all your help.

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
This gives you a look at the TRX-1/2 programming, I'm sure others have something like it for Sentinel, the Uniden software. Like I said, there are plenty of people who will help you get started and eventually you'll be a pro.
Wow... This will prove very handy regardless what I end up with. Thanks, Mike

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
My search for an old uniden scanner was fruitless so I'm looking at the Whistler WS1065 Desktop Digital model. Would this be a decent radio to start with. I can get a factory refurbished unit for $200.

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a decent price, go for it! I'm a total Uniden fan boy, so I can't give you any info first hand on the Whistler WS1065.

Whistler’s work well on Analog and non-simulcast systems. Honestly, a WS 1065 would be a good starting place. There’s also the WS 1080 if you want a handheld. Even a BC125AT for under or near $100 would cover everything in OP’s county, as it’s all analog anyways.

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
So I received the whistler ws1065 & after a bit of fumbling around have several weather stations programmed in with SAME alerts. As this is my 1st scanner that is digital with trunking capabilities I'm very happy with it.
I do have a question as to what software I should use going forward as a neophyte DXer. The documentation lists PSREdit & Starrsoft. Any recommendations as to which one may be easier to use for someone with no previous knowledge. Thanks in advance.
O one other thing: the package content's mentioned 2 keys... there weren't any physical keys included & even if there were there's nothing to lock. Anyone know what this is referring to.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
So I received the whistler ws1065 & after a bit of fumbling around have several weather stations programmed in with SAME alerts. As this is my 1st scanner that is digital with trunking capabilities I'm very happy with it.
I do have a question as to what software I should use going forward as a neophyte DXer. The documentation lists PSREdit & Starrsoft. Any recommendations as to which one may be easier to use for someone with no previous knowledge. Thanks in advance.
O one other thing: the package content's mentioned 2 keys... there weren't any physical keys included & even if there were there's nothing to lock. Anyone know what this is referring to.
The last I saw, nobody was able to obtain a license for Starrsoft anymore. Another option is Butel's ARC500 software. I think I tried all three options in the past and to me, they seemed fairly similar. Regarding the keys - that may be a reference to the software license keys, which are usually a mixture of numbers and letters.

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded & installed both. There's a message Pop-up stating it's for evaluation only for 30 days after which payment is to be made for further use. I'm looking over the tutorials but they do appear similar. I think what you mentioned about the keys are probably correct. This is a factory refurbished unit so whatever keys may have been supplied no longer exist. I'll take a look@ ARC500. Thanks for the info.

vavolff

Transcending Shower and Curtain
Premium Subscriber
Whistler’s work well on Analog and non-simulcast systems. Honestly, a WS 1065 would be a good starting place. There’s also the WS 1080 if you want a handheld. Even a BC125AT for under or near $100 would cover everything in OP’s county, as it’s all analog anyways.
Awesome! Thanks for the info!

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
I installed PRSEdit & am amazed how quickly it all went. What I can't figure out is how to load different lists. Everything seems to go into the #1 location. After playing around with it I loaded 4 scan lists but the screen shows 1 with the other 3 flashing together. There's something I'm just not getting write.

fredva

Feed Provider
Does anyone know if you can copy the weather info from the ws1065 scanner to the prsedit software.
Those seven frequencies are available in the database in Radio Reference under Nationwide > National Weather Service. You ought to be able to download them from the Radio Reference database. Exactly how you would get to the Nationwide section in psredit, I'm not sure. While I had that software at one time, it was on an old PC that I no longer have and I haven't used it, Win500, or Arc500 in years. You might want to check in the list of states and see if there is a "Nationwide" category in that list.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Honestly, a WS 1065 would be a good starting place. There’s also the WS 1080 if you want a handheld.
The comparable handheld version of the WS1065 is the WS1040. Both use the same software and programming files. The WS1080 is P25 Phase 2 and DMR capable and uses Whistler EZ-Scan software.

SkorpionTraveller01

Premium Subscriber
I installed PRSEdit & am amazed how quickly it all went. What I can't figure out is how to load different lists. Everything seems to go into the #1 location. After playing around with it I loaded 4 scan lists but the screen shows 1 with the other 3 flashing together. There's something I'm just not getting write.
Looks like those flashing scan lists were due to them not being assigned but as it stands everything I wanted to listen to is in the other 2 so I unchecked them. I downloaded ARC500 but for some reason it won't log in to this site. It's says invalid username or password but I have no problem with psredit. I reached out to their support but they weren't able to help. Too bad really as the interface is a bit more polished. I was able to load the scanner info into the software so I can play around with it. 1 thing I was able to do is separate the analog channels and load them into their own scan list. So far it's been fun. Hopefully over time I'll be able to customize what I listen to even more. Thanks to everyone for helping out.