New to the hobby

moneyman605

Hello, I'm still new to the scanner world. I have an Outside antenna for my scanner that's mounted next to my house. It's a discone antenna but it doesn't reach above the eve on my roof, can someone kinda give me a little direction. Will raising my antenna above the roof give me a better signal, also does anyone recommend a pre-amplifier.

TAC4

"Hight is might" is the mantra for antennas. VHF and 80O Mhz band are line of site transmissions so antennas need to see each other sort of speak. So the higher your discone the better. You want your discone well above your roof line, 10 feet above that point would be ideal.

Make sure you are following local antenna grounding electrical codes in your area. Also get a disconnect outside for your coax so you can disconnect the coax in an lightening storm. No need for a pre amp if you live in the city. For an outside disconect use a barrel connector so you can joint two lengths of coax together. Welcome to the forum.

Attachments

• Line-of-Sight-LOS-propagation.jpg
    Line-of-Sight-LOS-propagation.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3
  • so-239-uhf-female-to-female-jack-coupler-rf-coaxial-adapter-barrel-connector-for-pl-259-plugs-...jpg
    so-239-uhf-female-to-female-jack-coupler-rf-coaxial-adapter-barrel-connector-for-pl-259-plugs-...jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

moneyman605

"Hight is might" is the mantra for antennas. VHF and 80O Mhz band are line of site transmissions so antennas need to see each other sort of speak. So the higher your discone the better. You want you discone well above your roof line, 10 feet above that point would be ideal.

Make sure you are following local antenna grounding electrical codes in your area. Also get a disconnect outside for your coax so you can disconnect the coax in an lightening storm. No need for a pre amp if you live in the city. For an outside disconect use a barrel connector to you can joint to lengths of coax to. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you.

spongella

Welcome to the scanning world. A discone is a great wideband antenna and I've used 'em in the past and was always satisfied. You'll get much improved reception if you raise it from the current spot. I used chimney mounts for my discones and that's one way to do it.

As for preamps, I've tried them and at least in my case it they were disappointing. I've heard that preamps should be mounted close to the antenna to minimize noise amplification. I'd raise the antenna first if I were you. Good luck

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Others have already posted the info you seek. But to add, what scanner and exact discone do you have? This info can help us help you better. Not all discones are created equal. When you have the antenna set high enough for receiving all around, you should post in the Kentucky forum for specific questions about your area and needs. Good luck.

G7RUX

Discone antennas are generally a decent approach for reasonably wide band coverage although they aren't always the best antennas...a perfectly good place to start from though and you will probably find decent reception with one.
Getting your antenna up high and in the clear is always the best bet as it will maximise the performance of what you have. Remember that the antennna is probably the single most important component of the system overall.
Regarding a preamplifier, these can be somewhat of a double-edged sword. They can be very useful if done correctly (not too much gain, filtered appropriately to prevent interfering signals becoming an issue and fitted at the antenna) but can also make overall performance and satisfaction much, much worse. Don't worry about a preamplifier until the point where you really need it.
The second most important part of the system is the coax feeder; do the best you reasonably can here since it would be a shame to ruin the performance you could get by throwing all of the signals away in lossy or damaged coax. Here there are a lot of options but good quality coax is important, although decent cable/satellite TV coax can be very good (think CT125 or similar) since this has good performance even though there will be a small mismatch loss. Remember that although your antenna and receiver may claim they are 50 ohm impedance, in reality most wide band receivers vary a lot so using decent 75 ohm satellite TV coax works very well. Just make very very sure that the connectors are fitted properly, safety grounding is done as needed and any connections are properly waterproofed.

I hope that helps!

dkcorlfla

"Hight is might" is the mantra for antennas. VHF and 80O Mhz band are line of site transmissions so antennas need to see each other sort of speak. So the higher your discone the better. You want your discone well above your roof line, 10 feet above that point would be ideal.

Make sure you are following local antenna grounding electrical codes in your area. Also get a disconnect outside for your coax so you can disconnect the coax in an lightening storm. No need for a pre amp if you live in the city. For an outside disconect use a barrel connector so you can joint two lengths of coax together. Welcome to the forum.
Instead of a barrel connector use a lightning arrester outside at the point the cable enters the house and ground it well with a 8 foot ground rod driven into the ground with a heavy hammer. You can still disconnect the cable just like the barrel connector but you will provide a solid ground too.

Attachments

• Arrester.jpg
    Arrester.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0