New Trunking Frequency in Sudbury

Radioguy789

I was just in Sudbury a few days ago and while I was there I came across this new trunking frequency and I don’t know who it’s for and never heard any voice channels come up. Dunno if it’s a new FleetNet Control Channel, or if it’s for someone else.

First, here is a pic I took from my BCD996P2 of it.

Second, I didn’t take a pic of it, but this is what it showed on my PRO96 scanner when I entered the frequency in: 96: 8A22D/SY001 T1111

So, just seeing if anyone around Sudbury has come across this frequency or might be able to check it and maybe find out who is belongs to. I won’t be back down there for quite awhile to check it out again.

The frequency is: 769.95625 as shown in the pic.

Attachments

• 57E366F3-B223-4518-8F1D-DB99798E80D9.jpeg
    57E366F3-B223-4518-8F1D-DB99798E80D9.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 7

mciupa

Nice find.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the WACN of 8A22D. That is the same as the existing P25 Phase 1 system.

System Name: Greater Sudbury
County: Sudbury District
System Type: Project 25 Phase I
System Voice: APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive
System ID: Sysid: 001 WACN: 8A22D

Looks like a new site. What was the area you were staying in when it was monitored?

Radioguy789

Yah, it might be a new site. I never searched that area of frequencies before, so I don’t know how long it’s been active. I never heard any voice channels come through or talking, even when doing a search between 760 - 780. So, maybe would it have something to do with the new FleetNet system they are going to be using and might be using that range for it.

I was at a hotel down by the VIA Rail station down in that area, but was able to still hear it on my PRO96 for a little bit while heading away from that area. It wasn’t 100% strong signa, but enough to pick it up on my PRO96.

So am curious to see who is using it, if it is FleetNet. If anyone is around the area to monitor it until I am back there again.

Radioguy789

Ok, I think I know the one you are talking about. The 800 MHz system.

So, is this a new control channel for that system or was I just picking up intermod from one of the control channels from that system?

Are they using this control channel for that system? What voice channels might they use? Just came across it when I was just there and didn’t know about any control channels up in the 700’s in Sudbury.

mciupa

We need some people up Sudbury way to run some software to log some data. You've given them a good starting point.

Radioguy789

Ok, yah I think I did. By the sounds of it, is this a new system or just part of another system just using a new control channel in that freq range?

I hope there are other people in Sudbury or people going there that can monitor this system and get more info from it like voice channels and talkgroups (who is using them) until the next time I get back up that way to monitor it more myself.

Radioguy789

Ok so it is probably just a new site for that 800 MHz system. And if it is, does that mean they will be switching from 800 to the 700 MHz or just using this new site to rebroadcast the 800 MHz system?

So that would explain why I am not hearing any voice channels since the Sudbury Police and FD are encrypted.

mciupa

I've added Site 17 to the database. With that frequency it will be interesting to see if they will be using two time slots when voice and data transmits eventually.

Radioguy789

Ok, sounds good that you added it to the database.

Yup, will be interesting to see if there is anyone in Sudbury or will be around Sudbury to monitor it to see if they will hear anything from it, and can post if they hear anything on it. I will monitor it again whenever I get back down that way, as well

sudsyjkh

Hey folks: long time no post.

Was just coming in to put up a thread about a DMR T-III system I’m trying to lock down (Glencore Sudbury Integrated Nickel operations) when I saw this.

Thanks for the post OP.

I'm in the south end of the city and receive sites 01 and 12 quite clearly.

I"ve been hearing techs doing lots of testing (over the 800 MHz side) almost daily for a couple months now, so won't be surprised if they're planning on switching things up.

I monitor the 700 MHz band these days to see if I can grab hits related to PSRN, so will post any city system findings I might come across too. As of right now, haven’t noticed anything around here yet.

gary123

Assumption on my part is that the system may be transitioning the 800 frequencies to 700 frequencies. Kind of a waste of money if they are, Sudbury is not exactly radio central as far as spectrum use is concerned.

Radioguy789

Hey folks: long time no post.

Was just coming in to put up a thread about a DMR T-III system I’m trying to lock down (Glencore Sudbury Integrated Nickel operations) when I saw this.

Thanks for the post OP.

I'm in the south end of the city and receive sites 01 and 12 quite clearly.

I"ve been hearing techs doing lots of testing (over the 800 MHz side) almost daily for a couple months now, so won't be surprised if they're planning on switching things up.

I monitor the 700 MHz band these days to see if I can grab hits related to PSRN, so will post any city system findings I might come across too. As of right now, haven’t noticed anything around here yet.
Ok, sounds good. And no problem. Yah, if you monitor it the 700 MHz and can keep a listen to the site I posted, that would be great and maybe be able to see if you can figure out who is using it. I will be able to monitor it again myself, once I am back up there again