OP25 New User - Hitting a Setup Roadblock

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Looks like I may have found my answer after some considerable digging, in the README-hls file within the apps folder of Osmocom. Egads, looks like I have some work to do!

I haven't decided whether Boatbod or Osmocom will be the final solution and I expect I'll be blowing this up again at some point. Is there a similar path to this available via Boatbod as well? I haven't found that...yet.

boatbod

I haven't decided whether Boatbod or Osmocom will be the final solution and I expect I'll be blowing this up again at some point. Is there a similar path to this available via Boatbod as well? I haven't found that...yet.
Boatbod op25 does not have a native way to play audio through the web browser. It is arguably easier to set up than Osmocom, but it's primary purpose is for use as either a headless streaming source (to an icecast server) or local reception direct to a sound card.

KC1UA

Database Admin
Thanks for the reply. It's become clear to me that both forks have significant advantages. Right now I am trying to have the source, which would ultimately be headless, and visible and audible connectivity via LAN (and maybe WAN) devices such as other PC's, smartphone browsers, tablets, etc. I started the instructions in the README-hls file as mentioned above but ran into some fatal snags along the way, quite likely from my ignorance of Linux in general. It may be time for me to start a more topic specific thread for that.

I've definitely had success, thanks to the help of this thread, with local setup of both Boatbod and Osmocom, and it's appreciated.

wgbecks

I started the instructions in the README-hls file as mentioned above but ran into some fatal snags along the way, quite likely from my ignorance of Linux in general. It may be time for me to start a more topic specific thread for that.

wgbecks

Let me try this again.. I let it timeout while taking a phone call.

Scott,

You're not going to have much luck building HLS without jumping through a lot of hoops to fix missing dependencies that include
nasm and libx264-dev for example. Then there are permissions issues with FFMPEG that also have to be fixed. Finally, as you read
down the list, there are references to ffmpeg.liq and ffmpeg.sh that are no longer present in the apps folder since the last major
update a couple of years ago.

I have Osmocom OP25 with HLS running on Ubuntu 20.04.6 as a VM under ESXi but the HLS video (GUI) is not the same presentation
as the nice GUI that you get when connected directly to the HTTP console. (See the screen capture below.)

You're probably better off to stay with Boatbod and add on Liquidsoap and Icecast whereby you'll be able to steam audio across your
network to include the alpha tags associated with the active talk groups. I have been using op25 this way for several years to provide
an assortment of public and private feeds.

Bill, WA8WG

Screenshot from 2023-06-08 20-02-56.png

KC1UA

Database Admin
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that information. You probably saved me a considerable amount of time and effort by posting it. That's a shame that it doesn't retain the gui. I of course had no idea. I started this thread regarding this issue but as stated there I have zero qualms about blowing up the machine and starting fresh. I'll take the word of an experienced user and go the Boatbod route as it has some definite advantages in its interface and also seems to be an active and ongoing fork of OP25. @boatbod has been very helpful throughout this thread as well.

Thanks for your input. Liquidsoap and Icecast are likely a bit more in tune with my low level of Linux knowledge.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I flattened and reinstalled Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on that machine and I now have Boatbod up and running. It appears to me that to get liquidsoap working there are op25liq and example_liquidsoap.liq that might help to get things started. I think I have to run an Icecast server on the same machine as well. I see references to using a second host but the only thing I have dedicated to this is one PC. Again my goal is to simply run the http interface to OP25 from another client on the same LAN and also be able to hear the audio from talkgroups as they are displayed.

wgbecks

Scott,

I am willing to help with the configs if you would like some help. It would probably be quicker to work direct via email or over the phone.
Just send me a PM or email me directly. I am good in QRZ.

Bill, WA8WG