New Wildland Dispatch Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverspy

This reminds me, back in the mid nineties, I was at the top of Beckwourth Peak, which is about 7200 feet, in the Feather River Country, well below the Sierra Crest, and was able to key up the ham repeater on Mt.Diablo with a 5 watt handheld. A lot of these signals can also duct down the river canyons.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
I realize that, the question was on the SLU 217a, of why or where the North Coast, South Coast was considered to be...(within San Luis Obispo Co.)

Yet nobody has mentioned the SLU 217a in this thread. This thread is about a northern CA dispatch center. SLO was just very briefly mentioned.

Paysonscanner

This reminds me, back in the mid nineties, I was at the top of Beckwourth Peak, which is about 7200 feet, in the Feather River Country, well below the Sierra Crest, and was able to key up the ham repeater on Mt.Diablo with a 5 watt handheld. A lot of these signals can also duct down the river canyons.

I started this thread and would like to hear about what is going on with the combined dispatch and fire organization of the Six Rivers NF, Redwood NP and the Hoopa Reservation. It has gone far off topic. However, I wanted to comment on what you said. I saw some info that the amount of land/topography seen from Mt. Diablo sets a world record, or maybe just the continental U.S. Hubby and I took some weekends, camping in the state park or getting a motel room in Livermore to spend time playing with radios on the peak. The results amazed us!

biocal

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if you will see this as this is an older thread, but I live in the Humboldt/Del Norte area. The dispatch center uses 'North Coast' as their call sign. They dispatch Six Rivers National Forest (SRF) and Redwood National Park (RWP) on their own respective frequencies. They will often simulcast both agencies when reading the morning report and giving staffing levels and fire weather forecasts. Sometimes though they will not simulcast and give the same reports on each channel separately. As far as I know, they do not dispatch for BIA-Hoopa. Hoopa does their own dispatch as they are also an all risk fire dept. There is no fire dispatching for FWS as there are is no fire program here. They may dispatch for BLM as there are 4 repeater sites in Humboldt county and a fire station on the Lost Coast. When North Coast gives their morning report they will do resources available for BLM, BIA-HOOPA, CAL Fire, SRF, RWP, and smoke jumpers out of Redding. Hope this is helpful if you need more details let me know and I'll see if I can answer them.

Paysonscanner

I don't know if you will see this as this is an older thread, but I live in the Humboldt/Del Norte area. The dispatch center uses 'North Coast' as their call sign. They dispatch Six Rivers National Forest (SRF) and Redwood National Park (RWP) on their own respective frequencies. They will often simulcast both agencies when reading the morning report and giving staffing levels and fire weather forecasts. Sometimes though they will not simulcast and give the same reports on each channel separately. As far as I know, they do not dispatch for BIA-Hoopa. Hoopa does their own dispatch as they are also an all risk fire dept. There is no fire dispatching for FWS as there are is no fire program here. They may dispatch for BLM as there are 4 repeater sites in Humboldt county and a fire station on the Lost Coast. When North Coast gives their morning report they will do resources available for BLM, BIA-HOOPA, CAL Fire, SRF, RWP, and smoke jumpers out of Redding. Hope this is helpful if you need more details let me know and I'll see if I can answer them.

Thanks for the report! I think the BLM gets dispatched from Redding, but I'm not too sure. I think most of their scattered lands on the west side of the Northern California District are contracted to Cal Fire for protection. The Lost Coast might be an exception to that, I see they have one Type III engine there.

Status
Not open for further replies.