New York Center (ZNY) Sector Names

k2hz

Database Admin
I have been working on RRDB updates for ZNY and find that the Sector names apparently are no longer included in their LTA Sector Coverage Charts and the New York Center Sector Summary. Everything is just by Sector Number and may show various NAVAIDS/Waypoints in the Sector for reference but no specific Sector name.

Example: https://notams.aim.faa.gov/lta/imagedownload?img_id=2521

Is this just a ZNY thing since ZBW still shows the Sector name followed by the number on their charts. I recently worked a RRDB submission for ZBW suggesting the Sector Name be included in the Alpha Tag which had previously been inconsistent. Recent ZBW LTA documents all showed the Sector name along with the number so I now have that in all ZBW RCAG frequency Alpha Tags.

So, in looking to now update ZNY and finding some obsolete frequency info and possible revised Sectors or RCAG coverage I find no new official Sector names info from any FAA source.

k2hz

Database Admin
Unfortunately, it somewhat adds to the confusion since it is a list of frequencies at each RCAG with no reference to Sector names or numbers. But, it gives me another source to pick through to confirm RCAG sites. Some of the listed sites have only emergency frequencies (121.5/243.0) and no ZNY Sector frequencies. Other sites have only a partial list of the active Sector frequencies. What is the source of this page? It looks like maybe AFD-NE?

Thanks for the info! Every new source helps.

billpritjr

Unfortunately, it somewhat adds to the confusion since it is a list of frequencies at each RCAG with no reference to Sector names or numbers. But, it gives me another source to pick through to confirm RCAG sites. Some of the listed sites have only emergency frequencies (121.5/243.0) and no ZNY Sector frequencies. Other sites have only a partial list of the active Sector frequencies. What is the source of this page? It looks like maybe AFD-NE?

Thanks for the info! Every new source helps.

Bearcat15

I realize it's a work in progress but Sector 56 (125.325) is listed under both the Matawan, NJ and Douglaston, NY RCAGs. I'm pretty sure it's not Douglaston because I can't hear the ground side (which I can for 121.125) and the AFD shows it at Colts Neck, NJ. Same with 133.500 for Sector 86. Are these SELKEY frequencies?

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
I realize it's a work in progress but Sector 56 (125.325) is listed under both the Matawan, NJ and Douglaston, NY RCAGs. I'm pretty sure it's not Douglaston because I can't hear the ground side (which I can for 121.125) and the AFD shows it at Colts Neck, NJ. Same with 133.500 for Sector 86.
In piecing together the information, in appears to me frequency 125.325 is now at Colts Neck RCAG. So that was something I was attempting to verify. The RRDB info for Mattawan is questionable since all the listed frequencies are now at adjacent sites and Mattawan is no longer listed in the AFD.

I had not looked at the AFD for some time. It is another piece of the puzzle but, while it lists the RCAG sites, it provides no info on the use of the listed frequencies. It also seems not all active frequencies are listed at some sites and other listed frequencies are apparently special use and not Sectors. An example is Saint David 128.5 and 119.1 and that site is not in the RRDB since none of the frequencies are in the LTA New York Center Sector Summary. So, AFD lists RCAG sites and some frequencies but no Sector use info and LTA maps and summary list Sectors and active frequencies but no association with RCAGs.

Thank you for your info! Actual observations are the key to keeping RRDB info current.

Bearcat15

In piecing together the information, in appears to me frequency 125.325 is now at Colts Neck RCAG. So that was something I was attempting to verify. The RRDB info for Mattawan is questionable since all the listed frequencies are now at adjacent sites and Mattawan is no longer listed in the AFD.

I had not looked at the AFD for some time. It is another piece of the puzzle but, while it lists the RCAG sites, it provides no info on the use of the listed frequencies. It also seems not all active frequencies are listed at some sites and other listed frequencies are apparently special use and not Sectors. An example is Saint David 128.5 and 119.1 and that site is not in the RRDB since none of the frequencies are in the LTA New York Center Sector Summary. So, AFD lists RCAG sites and some frequencies but no Sector use info and LTA maps and summary list Sectors and active frequencies but no association with RCAGs.

Thank you for your info! Actual observations are the key to keeping RRDB info current.
Ah I see the issue, I hadn't compared the AFD to the LTA. At least there is some record of 128.500 being used, 119.1 for ZNY usage seems to come out of nowhere. Maybe when the current LTA expires in July some more information will come out.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
An example is Saint David 128.5 and 119.1 and that site is not in the RRDB since none of the frequencies are in the LTA New York Center Sector Summary.
Both of those are in Bermuda (airspace delegated to ZNY), maybe why it's not on the LTA. 119.100 = Sector 80 Cocoa (60nm circle around BDA SFC to FL180), 128.500 = Sector 81 Hildy (178nm circle around BDA, 4000 and above, excluding Sector 80). Most of the time Sector 80 and 81 are combined using 128.500 for both, although I've also heard them use 119.100 for both on rare occasions. This is based on the 2012 SOP so might have changed. Although from recent monitoring it doesn't seem to have changed. Have you tried obtaining the latest copy of their SOP, would answer your questions. FAA FOIA request form.

k2hz

Database Admin
Both of those are in Bermuda (airspace delegated to ZNY), maybe why it's not on the LTA. 119.100 = Sector 80 Cocoa (60nm circle around BDA SFC to FL180), 128.500 = Sector 81 Hildy (178nm circle around BDA, 4000 and above, excluding Sector 80). Most of the time Sector 80 and 81 are combined using 128.500 for both, although I've also heard them use 119.100 for both on rare occasions. This is based on the 2012 SOP so might have changed. Although from recent monitoring it doesn't seem to have changed. Have you tried obtaining the latest copy of their SOP, would answer your questions. FAA FOIA request form.
Great info, one mystery solved! I find I have really waded into a swamp with attempting to update the RRDB for the area ARTCCs. I used to monitor ARTCC activity years ago when info sources were really sketchy. I became a RRDB admin for NY State last year which gives me access to edit the ARTCC data for the Centers with RCAGs in NY. I recently got a submission for ZBW and found there had been no RRDB updates to that page since 2012. So that got me poking around with ZNY and ZOB and those were in better shape but not current. Then ZNY throws me a curve with omitting Sector names in the LTAs.

So, info from listeners is essential to keep RRDB updated. Right now I am just getting up to speed on the public resources (NOTAM, AFD and LTA) which look like they, with the exception of the ZNY Sector names, give me the info to work with.

Thanks for your input!

k2hz

Database Admin
I am adding the Bermuda site to the RRDB but I need to know which UHF frequency is assigned to each Sector. That is another issue with the AFD listings not associating frequencies with sectors.

Bearcat15

I am adding the Bermuda site to the RRDB but I need to know which UHF frequency is assigned to each Sector. That is another issue with the AFD listings not associating frequencies with sectors.
Looks like 119.100/363.800 and 128.500/305.400 based on this from 2009.

k2hz

Database Admin
Looks like 119.100/363.800 and 128.500/305.400 based on this from 2009.

Well that is no good since the AFD-NE says 239.0 and 229.4 are the current UHF frequencies. If I can't confirm the frequency associated with each sector I will leave the UHF frequencies out until verified.
I realize it's a work in progress but Sector 56 (125.325) is listed under both the Matawan, NJ and Douglaston, NY RCAGs. I'm pretty sure it's not Douglaston because I can't hear the ground side (which I can for 121.125) and the AFD shows it at Colts Neck, NJ. Same with 133.500 for Sector 86. Are these SELKEY frequencies?
Here is what I found from AFD-NE and the LTA ZNY Sector summary:
Mattawan RCAG is no longer listed. 125.325 Sector 56 is now at Colts Neck. 127.175 is now at Stillwater (new) RCAG. So I believe Mattawan may no longer exist.
AFD-NE says Douglaston is now 121.125 Sector 56 and 128.675 (unknown). 125.325 Sector 56 is now at Colts Neck and 153.500 Sector 86 is now at Barnegat.

Can anyone confirm 128.675 is active at Douglaston and what it is used for? I can't list it without confirmed activity and accurate description.

Can anyone confirm if Mattawan is no longer an active site?

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm 128.675 is active at Douglaston and what it is used for?
I can't confirm if it's actually transmitted from Douglaston but I have heard 128.675 used on occasion as a spare in Sector 56 (in place of 125.325). Another ZNY "spare" frequency I have heard used in Sector 56 is 134.375, but I have never been able to find any official reference to it in the AFD/AFF/LTA/SOP.

Last edited: