New York, NY - Tapes indicate child directed planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
NEW YORK -- Earlier we reported that there will be delays at JFK Airport over the next few months while the main runway undergoes repairs (and fares may be going up, too). Now, there is a report that the Federal Aviation Administration is investigating an incident last month where a child apparently directed pilots from the air traffic control center at JFK, one of the nation's busiest airports, according to audio clips.

Get There - Tapes indicate child directed planes

Squad10

Hahah!
Wonderful!

I was surprised to see EF and wideband radio gear on Air Force One 27000 at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation & Library. No pics allowed or I would post here.

What a blast to the past great monitoring times!

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I see nothing wrong with it. Amazing what people make a big deal.

Last edited:

usswood

hey check out VATSIM.NET...kids do this everyday and do a heck of a JOB at it....seems a good way to promote ATC work...since there is a shortage on controllers anyway

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Some don't understand whats going on.

They just know that a kid was directing big airplanes full of jet fuel with a hundred people on it.

In reality, he just told a couple planes to switch frequencies and clear to take-off, something routine....and that they were expecting anyway.....And under the supervision of numerous other controllers that knew exactly what was going on

rtfred

Not Funny

I don't see anything humorous about this "stunt." Things in an ATC can go horribly wrong in the blink of an eye. Did all of the air traffic controllers know that this was going on? And I wonder what the pilots thought when they heard the voice of a child on their radios.

There is a reason that the people who direct the actions of commercial airliners go through intensive training before they are considered qualified for air traffic control duties. So what do the FAA and NTSB think about this?

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I don't see anything humorous about this "stunt." Things in an ATC can go horribly wrong in the blink of an eye. Did all of the air traffic controllers know that this was going on? And I wonder what the pilots thought when they heard the voice of a child on their radios.

There is a reason that the people who direct the actions of commercial airliners go through intensive training before they are considered qualified for air traffic control duties. So what do the FAA and NTSB think about this?

+1
I heard the pilot(s) involved were 'in' on it; one pilot I heard said if he heard a kid's voice he'd stop the plane where he was and demand a supervisor. anybody could get an aviation radio. there are cases of people interfering with tower traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.