Newark Police Pursuits

rr60

Premium Subscriber
We have has many pursuits in and out of Newark as of late. Most on Spen1 (Newark has improved its SPEN signal). This week:

1) There was the pursuit of a bull. Got loose from slaughterhouse. Captured and sent to a farm in Sussex.
2) A entourage left the City on a felony pursuit that ended almost 40 miles to the South of Exit 10 NJTPK.
2) N3NJ was turning and burning over the City on a stolen LEO automobile (recovered).

And elsewhere Elizabeth double fatal pursuit and Pburg Warren County felony auto into a school bus.

The State AG previously had an almost zero pursuit policy and revised it. Something tells me revised AG pursuit policy is on the way.

SPEN 1 (154.68) will likely settle down.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I remember reading about the powers at be relaxing pursuit policies in and around Newark to combat the stolen car epidemic. You're lucky you can still listen to that stuff. Down here we use to have non-stop mayhem in Canden city. All encrypted now. Hasn't been any good pursuits lately on NJSP down here. Enjoy it all while you still can.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
After a huge increase in Stolen MVs, NJ now allows pursuits , as long as Speed, and Conditions permit, for Public Safety. almost daily still happening from midnight to 5 am along route 78 from Somerset county into Newark, and route 280 from Morris County and Essex County into Newark.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
I've heard several attempted stops of stolen cars on the Parkway Galloway NJSP patrol area. Most of the time the trooper backed off for safety as the felons were fleeing at 100+mph. They followed at a distance, alerted the Atlantic City Expressway patrols who also attempted a stop but backed off when the car reached Rte 42 and the Camden area.

There was one pursuit of a stolen vehicle late one night initiated by a GSP Trooper around milepost 60 that went all the way to southern Cape May County. The vehicle was going 80 to 90mph and traffic minimal around midnight so the trooper stuck with the vehicle. The car got off the GSP in upper Cape May County in an effort to elude, but there was excellent realtime coordination between Woodbine NJSP, Galloway NJSP and the Cape May Communications center alerting the locals. The lead trooper passed the primary pursuit to a local when they got to the back roads but kept close. The chase ended when the felon tried to cut through the Rio Grande Wawa lot not realizing there was a deep drainage ditch between the Wawa lot and Route 9. There were no injuries, and the only damage was to the stolen car.

Pursuits are certainly exciting to monitor. However, the risk of an innocent civilian being injured or killed vs the benefit of catching a car thief is a question without an easy answer. The escaping felon mentioned in the original post that drove into the school bus in Phillipsburg had been shooting at vehicles, so he had to be stopped at all costs. Most situations of failing to stop are not as clear cut.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I see the challenge is that policies from the AG that are akin to hittting a moving target.

For many years, officer discretion. Then a new policy was handed down that essentially halted any pursuits. This was exploited. Then another policy was created
that returned guidance back to the way it was. Officer discretion. My suspicion is another change may be imminent.

Problem is that genie is not going back in the bottle.

Alain

Yes!! 471.3625.... that was some exciting listening!
Richee, yes, it sounds like it might elevate your BP several points. However, I don't believe that it can compare with the first day of the "civil unrest" back in July, 1967; I was there. Right at the bottom where Avon Avenue dumps into Springfield Ave. We lived right on the corner, my dad was still living back then. We heard gunfire and my dad almost got hit with a stray bullet standing waaay too close to the east wall. N.P.D. was on the 150.xxx freq's and through the P.D. dispatch you could hear N.F.D. in the background. That's back when Caufield was chief.

The radio that you see in my avitar was the one that I used to listen to the chaos...no SDS200's back then. My folks went to work the following day and downtown looked like you would expect, after a night of chaos. Clothes, tv's, window glass everywhere. Orbach's was completely decimated, as was most of Bam's, Nedick's, as well as down Market Street---all the way to Penn Station, and all the way across Broad Street. I had just graduated from H.S. then; in about 2 hours my folks came home and stayed away for the week, as their company's were close, as well as most of Newark for several weeks.

richee2000

I've heard several attempted stops of stolen cars on the Parkway Galloway NJSP patrol area. Most of the time the trooper backed off for safety as the felons were fleeing at 100+mph. They followed at a distance, alerted the Atlantic City Expressway patrols who also attempted a stop but backed off when the car reached Rte 42 and the Camden area.

There was one pursuit of a stolen vehicle late one night initiated by a GSP Trooper around milepost 60 that went all the way to southern Cape May County. The vehicle was going 80 to 90mph and traffic minimal around midnight so the trooper stuck with the vehicle. The car got off the GSP in upper Cape May County in an effort to elude, but there was excellent realtime coordination between Woodbine NJSP, Galloway NJSP and the Cape May Communications center alerting the locals. The lead trooper passed the primary pursuit to a local when they got to the back roads but kept close. The chase ended when the felon tried to cut through the Rio Grande Wawa lot not realizing there was a deep drainage ditch between the Wawa lot and Route 9. There were no injuries, and the only damage was to the stolen car.

Pursuits are certainly exciting to monitor. However, the risk of an innocent civilian being injured or killed vs the benefit of catching a car thief is a question without an easy answer. The escaping felon mentioned in the original post that drove into the school bus in Phillipsburg had been shooting at vehicles, so he had to be stopped at all costs. Most situations of failing to stop are not as clear cut.
In New Jersey, with cashless bail reform, most of these criminals are released the same day they are arrested.
Richee, yes, it sounds like it might elevate your BP several points. However, I don't believe that it can compare with the first day of the "civil unrest" back in July, 1967; I was there. Right at the bottom where Avon Avenue dumps into Springfield Ave. We lived right on the corner, my dad was still living back then. We heard gunfire and my dad almost got hit with a stray bullet standing waaay too close to the east wall. N.P.D. was on the 150.xxx freq's and through the P.D. dispatch you could hear N.F.D. in the background. That's back when Caufield was chief.

The radio that you see in my avitar was the one that I used to listen to the chaos...no SDS200's back then. My folks went to work the following day and downtown looked like you would expect, after a night of chaos. Clothes, tv's, window glass everywhere. Orbach's was completely decimated, as was most of Bam's, Nedick's, as well as down Market Street---all the way to Penn Station, and all the way across Broad Street. I had just graduated from H.S. then; in about 2 hours my folks came home and stayed away for the week, as their company's were close, as well as most of Newark for several weeks.
I remember that. Anthony imperiali was guarding the North Ward... I was born in Newark but we were living in West Orange at the time and I was monitoring Newark Police department... A lot of action going on obviously... New Jersey State Police as well as New Jersey national guard. I remember Newark police being on 156.21 and 156.09, if my memory served me right. We lived on mapes avenue in Newark right off Bergen Street

richee2000

You are 100% correct. Since soft on crime progressive New York City district attorney Alvin Bragg took office, violent crime has skyrocketed due to his policies: reducing felonies down to misdemeanors, applying cashless bail reform, alternatives to felony prosecution, alternatives to felony incarceration, restorative justice... Every one of these policies results in violent career criminal recidivists no longer going to prison. What did they think was going to happen?

rpurchases10

| MEMBER |
Premium Subscriber
In New Jersey, with cashless bail reform, most of these criminals are released the same day they are arrested.

I remember that. Anthony imperiali was guarding the North Ward... I was born in Newark but we were living in West Orange at the time and I was monitoring Newark Police department... A lot of action going on obviously... New Jersey State Police as well as New Jersey national guard. I remember Newark police being on 156.21 and 156.09, if my memory served me right. We lived on mapes avenue in Newark right off Bergen Street

The volunteers of the North Ward Citizen’s First Aid Squad were always safe with Tony Sr.!
My Dad told me stories of his college years when he lived with my Grandparents above their retail dress shop on Main St. in East Orange.

One of his friend’s fathers was an EOPD patrolman. The store had an electric roll up steel door w/viewing ”ports” that my Grandfather cut out for them using an acetylene torch. He and a bunch of other cops made use of their store to rest, use the bathroom and grab a drink. (yup… adult beverages, it was a more ”adventurous“ time. LOL) The animals burned, looted and destroyed many cities while “PEACEFULLY” Protesting.

Tony Imperiali and his pals kept Newark’s North Ward fairly safe. He was armed with some sort of armored vehicle or tank and everyone involved reportedly carried ball peen hammers to exact swift justice to looter’s knuckles and knees. That era’s version of today’s Antifa and BLM truly harmed and terrorized many citizens during the event and ruined the future prosperity of many downtown areas. They turned relatively safe areas into no-go zones that persist today.

Since this is RR, I’ll actually add something to do w/comms.
From my Dad’s memory, the biggest communications problem during the riots was the batteries in portable radios would fail in a fraction of the time we’ve now become accustomed to. Additionally, very few portable were available for use by off-duty personnel called in and outside agencies brought in. A far cry from the communications readily available to us today.